How to properly charge starter pack

Isolator Eliminator

How to properly charge starter pack

Postby thanna on Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 am

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and would like some assistance in understanding what my options are to deal with my subject.
I have a boat with a 5x100amp.hr Lifeline AGM domestic bank[5x size27] and a 2x3100 Lifeline AGM starter battery bank.
The two circuits are currently connected by a VSR when any charging source is detected and all sources[alt,shore charger and regulated solar charger]are connected to the dometic bank.
Clearly the starter bank is overcharging when the domestic bank is in bulk/absorption mode as this takes some time.The starter bank should charge up pretty quickly.
In the ideal world, and especially with expensive AGMs, it would be nice to be able to charge both the domestic bank and the starter bank separately with two independant 3-step regimens.
When I talk to Lifeline their latest requirements[the values on the website are out of date] are 14.5 to 14.6v for bulk and absorption and 13.1 to 13.2v for float.The old figures were 14.4v and 13.4v I believe.
Will the Eliminator do this for me?Are the voltage settings fully adjustable?Is it's amperage rating high enough?
Thanks,
Tony
thanna

Re: How to properly charge starter pack

Postby Coulomb on Tue May 24, 2011 2:04 pm

The Eliminator was designed precisely to solve the problem you're experiencing. Unfortunately not enough people knew about it, or cared enough about the starter battery. Result -- out of production.

Sorry.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Re: How to properly charge starter pack

Postby thanna on Wed May 25, 2011 9:10 am

Many thanks for the reply.Pity it went out of production as people would probably be a little more receptive these days.It was probably ahead of it's time as far as the average consumer was concerned.You wouldn't perhaps have a reconditioned or other unit lying on the shelf in the workshop ?Any idea where I might find one?
By the way,what voltages were programmed into the unit for AGM batteries or were they user adjustable?
Regards,
Tony
thanna

Return to Eliminator