Eliminator

Isolator Eliminator

Eliminator

Postby Nepple on Thu May 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I have the eliminator on my 30' Sabre Sailboat and have used it with the Gel wire jumper with gel batteries in the past including the starting battery (two banks). I have now changed to AGM house bank (450 AH) and a new 105 AH AGM East Penn cranking battery. I am concerned about removing the jumper for the gel option on the Eliminator (possibly resulting in to high a voltage for the new cranking AGM battery).

I cannot find the specs for the Eliminator for the float and bulk voltages it is programed to deliver for flooded batteries vs the gel battery option. What are they please or where can I find this information? Also do you recommend using the eliminator with the flooded cranking battery settings or the gel option for my East Penn AGM (8A31DTM) battery?

Currently I have modified the voltages on the original Quad-cycle regulator that charges my house bank and adjusted the Ample smart shore side charger for desired voltages of 13.4 volts float and bulk of 14.46. The battery eliminator has T sense on the cranking battery . While the Quad-cycle does adjust for T it has no T sensor at the house batteries. I have a 105 Amp alternator and I am on the Great Lakes with temperatures for sailing seasom (May - October) of 60-90 degrees F. I have spare quad-cycle circuit boards as well as a second new never used Eliminator stored in vacuum sealed bags which I carry as spares and as well as an "instant" switched standby fixed voltage regulator (So far have never had to resort to it). They have all worked great for sailing all over the Great Lakes for over 25 years. I am reluctant to upgrade to a "newer" regulation system because of modifications that might be necessary to the cosmetics of her beautiful teak (old and new holes in the woodwork, fiberglass, etc.). Thank you for any suggestions!
Nepple

Re: Eliminator

Postby Coulomb on Fri May 23, 2014 1:13 am

I suggest removing the gel jumper for starter batteries. Back when the battery manufactures didn't consider temperature compensation with multi-step regulation they were worried about constant, too high voltage.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Nepple on Fri May 23, 2014 12:02 pm

What are the approximate voltages the eliminator uses for the float and the bulk voltages at 70 degrees F for 1)flooded batteries and 2)with the gel option wire installed?
Thanks.
Nepple

Postby Coulomb on Fri May 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Sorry, I don't have that information.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Eliminator