Two questions re Eliminator

Isolator Eliminator

Two questions re Eliminator

Postby Wolf on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:15 pm

I have a Eliminator EL512 installed on our boat so that it gives our starting battery its own charge, separate from our house bank. The Eliminator was installed in 1998. Our house bank is comprised of Rolls batteries, 650ah.

I just had a marine electrician help me install a new AC 100A MasterVolt battery charger. In doing so, he changed the negative/ground for our house bank from the negative distribution bar to the ground terminal on the battery charger. (At the time that he did this, we did not realize that this was contrary to the Eliminator wiring instructions. As part of installing the new charger, we increased the size of the AC leads to the charger and of the charger output leads.)

Moving the house negative/ground to the charger ground terminal from the negative distribution bar causes my Link 20 battery monitor to no longer show the charger output current when the charger is running; however, I can glance at the charger and it will show me the charger output current. When the charger is off and the batteries are being charged by the engine alternator, the Link 20 gives me the current output of the alternator, along with the voltage output of the alternator, and the other information that I am use to the Link 20 showing me. In other words, when the boat engine is running and the batteries are being charged by the alternator, the Link 20 provides me with all the information that it always has. I can live with the Link 20 not showing me the charger output current when the battery charger is running, as long as the Link 20 is operating normally when the engine/alternator is charging the batteries, or when we are at anchor and I am using the Link 20 to monitor our battery state of charge and our DC current draw.

Question #1: Based on what I have explained above, is it OK to ground the house bank to the AC charger's ground terminal rather than the negative distribution bar?

Question #2: Should the green Eliminator light briefly light up each time the AC charger is turned on? It does not seem to. Or does the green light only light up the very first time following the installation of the Eliminator? The green light is not blinking. The Eliminator seems to be working: I can see that the starting battery is receiving a charge when the AC charger is turned on, or when the engine is running and the alternator is charging the batteries. I checked the voltage readings at terminals 1-2, 1-7, and 1-8; all three show voltage of 12.69. Terminals 2-1 and 2-7 show voltage of 13.0. Every indication -- to my untrained eye -- is that the Eliminator is working. I just never am able to see the green light briefly light up as the manual says it will. Does it sound to you like the Eliminator is working?

Thank you for your help. I am pleased with how long the Eliminator has lasted. In my experience, it is of much higher quality than many marine charging system components. For example, I just had to replace my voltage regulator when it failed after just ten years of service.

Regards,
David von Wolffersdorff
Wolf

Re: Two questions re Eliminator

Postby Coulomb on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 pm

It sounds like the Eliminator is working. It doesn't take a lot of current to maintain the starter battery.

Undo the grounding change back to the negative distribution. Our wiring diagrams have been vetted by many years of successful installations.

You can read about the whys of grounding in the book "Living on 12 Volts with Ample Power."
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Wolf on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:09 am

Coulomb --
Thank you for your reply. Could I trouble you for just a little more detail on why I should not leave the house bank grounded to the battery charger? I'd like to be able to explain to my electrician why grounding the house bank the way he did is undesirable. Is it dangerous to ground the house bank to the charger? Is it merely inconvenient to ground it that way, in that the battery monitor does not indicate the charger current output?
Thank you for your help.
David
Wolf

Postby Coulomb on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:55 am

Grounding is the single most important aspect of electrical wiring in a low voltage DC system. The book explains it in detail.

Your electrician would be doing himself, ( and their customers) a favor by reading it.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Eliminator