Charge / Access Diode

This forum is for general electrical issues. See other forums for product specific issues

Charge / Access Diode

Postby pjmac on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm

I had to replace a wind generator after Hurricane Irene. There is power from the AirBreeze, black line to battery and red line to a relay(?), there is power from relay to the APC charge/access diode. There is no power from the APC c/a diode. The fuse on the back is good. Ample Power does not make these anymore, so I need to know (1) what does the c/a diode do? and (2)where might I find a replacement, even from another manufacturer and (3) what will happen if I by pass this c/a diode. I would appreciate any suggestions and/or help as the wind generator helps to keep my Isotherm Refrig. running. Peter
pjmac

Re: Charge / Access Diode

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:00 pm

The diode is there to prevent back flow of current from the batteries to the wind generator when it is not spinning.

Some wind generators have a built-in diode. Check for back current without it. If there is back flow then you need a diode there. It should be rated for the peak current that the generator can produce.

Adequate heat sinking is essential. The book "Living on 12 Volts with Ample Power" has information about heat sink surface area versus power dissipation.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby pjmac on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks so much, now I have something to work on, PMac
pjmac

Postby pjmac on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks so much, now I have something to work on, PMac
pjmac

Return to General Electrical