Replacing #1018 Battery Temp Sensors

This forum is for general electrical issues. See other forums for product specific issues

Replacing #1018 Battery Temp Sensors

Postby SWar on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:12 pm

I have an older APC system from the late 80's. all the markings on the regulator have worn / fallen off so I can't really tell you what the model number is. However, it was installed in 1989 and I believe it's an ESAHM system as it's almost identical to the item in the advertisement.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=d0aDz1bTr-oC&pg=RA5-PA6-IA32&dq=Ample+Power+ESAHM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=B9h0VcmCFpTdoAT6tIKACw&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Ample%20Power%20ESAHM&f=false

You can see the attached photos for a description of the regulator components.
regulator 1.JPG
Regulator?
regulator 1.JPG (127.83 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

regulator 2.JPG
regulator?
regulator 2.JPG (85.5 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

I recently acquired the boat and replaced our batteries on the advice of our surveyor. In doing so the battery sensors associated with the APC system simply disintegrated when we removed them. Since changing the batteries our charging system is no longer working properly and I believe it's a consequence of my crimping a new connector on the sensor wires as opposed to replacing them with new sensor lugs.

Looking through your documentation (http://www.amplepower.com/trouble/alt_sys/index.html) I believe I'd need a sensor wire #1018 however it appears you don't make them anymore.
Would it be possible to get this working again with #2018? Are there any other considerations I have to make if I were to go this route?

The original system worked beautifully so I'm reluctant to upgrade more than I need to.
SWar

Re: Replacing #1018 Battery Temp Sensors

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Yes, that's an old 3-Step Regulator. It will not work without the temperature sensor in line from the battery.

You can get a $50 discount on a new NS2 Regulator. Contact Ruth at .... for more information.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby SWar on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for the information.

Will the NS2 just replace the existing regulator? That is, a 1:1 swap that will work with all the other components?
I believe the other black-box component is an alternator current sensor (or something like that). Presumably that is still required and the ESAHM will not be impacted by the NS2.

Thanks
SWar

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:50 pm

The NS2 will replace the 3-Step. Remove the wires from the 3-Step and put into the NS2 terminal block according to their function.

The NS2 will not change anything regarding the Alternator Current Sensor or ESAHM.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby SWar on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:15 pm

I was just about to order an NS2 but noticed it only comes with one Battery Sensor. I have 2 200 Ah batteries which serve as my house bank. My current regulator had a #1018 sensor on each battery each feeding into a single input in the regulator. The NS2 wiring diagram only shows one house battery and a starter battery. Does the NS2 support my current house battery set up? That is, can I put a temp sensor on each battery and input them both into the NS2 regulator?

If the NS2 can accommodate the same set-up as my current ample power regulator. I assume I'll have to purchase an extra battery sensor but will I also need to purchase the twisted pair wire?

Thanks
SWar

Postby SWar on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:30 am

Does this question fall into the can't read / won't read category? Usually questions get answered quite quickly on the forum.

I have read the installation docs for NS2 and can't find an explicit answer to my question. If it's a matter of reading the correct documents I'm happy to do so, I just haven't found any that confirm I'm able to wire two house batteries up with the NS2. Nor have I found a similar question / answer on the forum.

I'd like to purchase an NS2 regulator as soon as possible but I just need to confirm it will support the two house battery system I have and that I do indeed have to purchase and additional temp sensor etc.

Thanks.
SWar

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:41 am

The NS2 is designed to work with one house bank, which is the best system configuration.

Here is the background information. http://www.amplepower.com/primer/prefer/index.html

Here are instructions for converting from a two bank system. It's a little dated but still useful.
http://www.amplepower.com/primer/retro/index.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to General Electrical