Recommended AmplePower Alternator/Regulator

This forum is for general electrical issues. See other forums for product specific issues

Recommended AmplePower Alternator/Regulator

Postby Joshua on Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:09 pm

My 48V system design (on a small mobile office trailer) utilizes solar and wind, but requires shore power to top off batteries after a day of travel.

I would like to mount the proper Ample Power alternator and regulator to my vehicle engine so that this is not necessary.

What would you recommend for a 48V 600Ah AGM battery system (12 - Outback EnergyCell 200RE Batteries - http://outbackpower.com/outback-products/energy-storage/item/energycell-re?category_id=442)?

Joshua

Re: Recommended AmplePower Alternator/Regulator

Postby Coulomb on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Our 48V alternator is big and heavy. Even if you could find the room to mount it, you would have to build stronger mounting hardware to keep it attached to the engine.

Then there is an issue with running large wires from the alternator to the battery bank.

You might use a step-up DC to DC converter off the existing 12V system. Wire size would be smaller, dependent on the power available from the converter.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Joshua on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Thank you for your quick reply :)

I have actually worked with similar projects on Custom Sprinter Vans, so I was prepared to have a custom mount machined and was planning on 2/0 cable from the alternator back to the trailer via a quick disconnect at the hitch.

Nothing about this project has been cheap. I just want to do it right.

I'm still open to any advice, thanks.
Joshua

Postby Coulomb on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:35 am

We can send you a 3D step file for the alternator. You can't import that into your cad program to get the dimensions.

Keep in mind that the alternator weighs close to 50 pounds.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to General Electrical