New V3 problems!

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

New V3 problems!

Postby PeterFM on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:22 am

Serious charging problems! Alternator alarm indicated no charging a few weeks ago, but alternator checked out OK. Error lights on Next Step Reg indicated Bat Volts disconnected. House Battery reads 14 V. But no field voltage. I assumed Reg was dead so ordered a new V3 and fitted as instructed.

Still no charging. Yellow Parallel Indicator light is on constantly, but no Error lights. Parallel solenoid appears to shut off Start Bat when battery switch turned on. In addition, the warning lights at the Ingition switch Board no longer light up when Ignition is turned on, but work fine when Test button is pressed. While testing V3 to find problem I switched the Emergency Parallel Switch on, which activates parallel solenoid and charging appeared to start but then a puff of smoke came from a component on the V3 board. CR19.

The House Battery is 400 amps, currently 14 votls charged by solar panel, engine Volvo Penta, alternator 55 amps. Start battery down to 12.5.

Readings before smoke
With Ignition off, Parallel V is 14V, ignition ON, 14v, engine running 0v.
On/Off, ign off 0V, ign on 12.5V, engine running 12.5v
Grnd 0v for all 3 cols
B+, 14v for all 3 cols

Field, 0v for all 3 cols

Bat Volts, 14v for all 3 cols
PeterFM

Re: New V3 problems!

Postby Coulomb on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:11 pm

You didn't mention whether the green LED was flashing, which above all is an indication that the processor is working.

If you managed to blow up CR19 you have some serious mis-wiring - maybe field and ground reversed. CR19 is a 3A diode that we would never expect to fail unless reversed wiring has it shorting a battery.

Every SARV3 is 100% tested before it leaves here and failure rate is so low that it is insignificant.

With CR19 blown, there's a good chance that the field driver MOSFETS are toast.

The unit will have to be returned for repair.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby PeterFM on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Green light flashes 3 on 3 off with battery switch on, red 3 on 1 off. Field and Ground are not reversed. CR 19 blew only after switching emergency parallel switch on to prallel start and house batteries.
PeterFM

Postby Coulomb on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Did you check out the manual for the error code?

Please take the readings in the troubleshooting guide and post them here.

Thanks.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby PeterFM on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Regulator has been posted back to Ample Power. Marine electrician is to check out ignition wiring.
PeterFM

Postby PeterFM on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 am

I note the recent reply to the Ugrade Questions, 21 December. Pity I did not ask if there was anything special I needed to know before swapping a Next Step Reg for a new V3 Reg. Your answer "If you do use the parallel solenoid be aware that the drive signal from the SARV3 is positive when active while the
Next Step was negative," has alerted me to the obvious cause of my problem. Stupid Me! I have made the mistake, in the absence of any highlight to the contrary, that the wiring to the V3 was the same as the Next Step and swapped wires from the Next to the V3. I now see that the wiring diagram now has the wire running from the right hand side of the solenoid coil going to positive not as with the Next Step the negative distribution. Perhaps your diagram and manual should put this significant change in flashing lights! Traps for the unwary.
PeterFM

Postby Coulomb on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:10 pm

It won't blow up anything to wire the SARV3 to a solenoid previously wired for a Next Step.

Engineering tells me that to blow up CR19 as you did, indicates that most likely B+ and alternator
ground were reversed, and the 15A fuse on the wiring diagram was not installed.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby PeterFM on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:36 pm

The 15 amp fuse is still in the B+ line from the Next Reg which has been on the boat for 10 years. Would you like me to send a photo? To connect the B+ without the 15 amp in line fuse would mean I would have to cut the fuse and fuse holder out of the line and re crimp the wires directly together. I think I would remember doing all that! If the fuse was removed from the holder then it is disconnected! I swapped wires from the old Next Step to V3, 1 by 1, except that as highlighted, the -ve Ground was connected first. With Battery Switch in the OFF position! It is rather disappointing to get responses which make such ridiculous statements.

If the parallel solenoid coil is connected to -ve as it was on the Next reg then when I manually operate the Parallel Emergency switch I am sending +ve battery voltage to the Parallel terminal on the V3. Is the V3 designed to accept +ve 12V at the Parallel terminal?
PeterFM

Postby Coulomb on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:30 pm

You can also blow that diode by connecting ground to the field terminal and B+ to the ground terminal.

The parallel output on the SARV3 can tolerate 12V connected to it without any ill-effects.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby PeterFM on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Coulomb, you keep saying things which either dont make seem to make much sense or indicate that you have not read the information that I have previously forwarded. The new V3 was working for more than 1 hour, but not charging, during which time I made various tests to see why it was telling me that it could not sense battery voltage, which is more or less the same fault as the old Next reg. It was only when I switched manually the Emeregency Parallel to connect start and house batteries that CR19 blew. If as you have suggested the B+, Grnd and Field had been incorrectly connected would the green lights flash as though everything was OK for nearly 2 hours, with NO red error lights flashing?
PeterFM

Next

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators