Upgrade Questions

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Upgrade Questions

Postby bjrichar on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:27 am

Our boat has all Ample Power charging equipment for the main engines, house and starting batteries. EMON H1A, Alternator Current Sensor, 2 #4023 alternators, 2 Isolator Eliminators (starting batteries for both main engines and generator), and at present a Next Step Regulator. I am in the process of upgrading to the SAR V3 and Dual Alternator Controller. Going over the wiring diagrams closely before starting installation I have been noting the differences between the two systems and have two questions.
At present a portion of the wiring is done per drawing AT940824 from the Ample Power Primer. Am I correct in assuming that most or all of that diagram's wiring of relays and diodes is eliminated by using the Dual Alternator Controller to acheive the same end of controlling the regulator and both alternators?
I am not sure when the Isolator Eliminators were installed but there is a Parrellel solinoid in the system to the main engine start batteries. Does the Eliminators replace this solinoid or work with it to provide another method of charging? After reading page 11 of the Ample Power Primer for an explaination of the Eliminator, I am unsure which is the case but it seems that the Eliminators would do a better job with temperature control plus. I am just looking to clean up the installation and eliminate unnecessary wiring and problems.
Thank you for your assistance and superior products.
Byron Richards
bjrichar

Re: Upgrade Questions

Postby Coulomb on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:25 pm

The Eliminator are more appropriate to charge starter batteries than a simple parallel solenoid.

The Dual Alternator Controller works better than the ad hoc wiring of diodes and relays because it solves the problem
of the two alternator fields and their returns. The ad hoc wiring tended to be too difficult for many to do correctly.

If you do use the parallel solenoid be aware that the drive signal from the SARV3 is positive when active while the
Next Step was negative. The change was done to reduce ground current in the regulator that could affect regulation set point
if the installer wasn't careful about the regulator ground.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Questions

Postby bjrichar on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Thank you for the quick and understandable answer. I am looking forward to disposing of the relays, diodes, and their wiring. I had noted the difference wiring of the parallel solenoid with the SAR V3 and the wire connecting to the Negative Distribution instead of the Postitive Distribution with the Next Step. Knowing the Eliminators will be the appropriate charging source for the starting batteries, I believe I will remove the parrallel solenoid and reduce the clutter and the wire mass and have one less component liable to fail.
Thanks again, Byron
bjrichar

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators