Replacing 12P Regulator with V3 Regulator

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Replacing 12P Regulator with V3 Regulator

Postby dcp on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:37 am

My Boat is in the Caribbean. I have a 12 P Next Step regulator which is not charging and is no longer made. The replacement is a V3. I have 8 connections : ON/Off; GROUND; B+; FIELD; ALT.GND; BAT.VOLT; T-(BLK); T+(RED). The new V3 has several extra connections. My question is: Can I unplug the old and plug in the new and expect it to work without hours of technical adjustment? I realize that I will have to set the S1 switches to Conccorde AGM since I have a sealed matt batteries. I have a friend who repaired his P12 regulator and he and another techie spent 2 hours resetting it and retesting it. My boat is in GeorgeTown Exumas and there are NO techies and I have limited electronic abilities.
The question again is : Can I unplug the existing 12P one and plug in the new V3 with the above adjustment? DCP
dcp

Re: Replacing 12P Regulator with V3 Regulator

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:08 pm

The eight connections you are using are the same on the V3.

Be aware that the signals for the parallel solenoid, status LED and error LED are activated positive on the V3 instead of negative, like the Next Step.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby dcp on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 am

Thank you Coulomb but I need further clairification
1. I don’t have either a remote status LED or a remote error LED. I also don’t believe the parallel pin is currently used (on my old P12).
What do you mean that I should ‘Be aware that the signals for the parallel solenoid, status LED and error LED are activated positive on the V3 instead of negative, like the Next Step’?
Other than moving the eight P12 connections over one-for-one to the new V3, are you suggesting I need to redo any of the wiring? Or are you just cautioning that I should pay attention to a difference in the wiring diagram between the P12 and the V3 if/when I make modifications to my system in the future?
2. Other than making sure to connect the ground wire to the new V3 first (then connecting the remaining 7), is there anything else I need to be aware of when swapping the new for the old unit?

3. Am I correct that the Concorde AGM switch setting is the most appropriate choice given my sealed mat battery bank?

4. Am I correct that the Enable Equalization switch should remain untouched from the factory (i.e. disabled since my sealed mat batteries don’t require equalization)?

Regards dcp
dcp

Postby dcp on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 am

Thank you Coulomb but I need further clairification
1. I don’t have either a remote status LED or a remote error LED. I also don’t believe the parallel pin is currently used (on my old P12).
What do you mean that I should ‘Be aware that the signals for the parallel solenoid, status LED and error LED are activated positive on the V3 instead of negative, like the Next Step’?
Other than moving the eight P12 connections over one-for-one to the new V3, are you suggesting I need to redo any of the wiring? Or are you just cautioning that I should pay attention to a difference in the wiring diagram between the P12 and the V3 if/when I make modifications to my system in the future?
2. Other than making sure to connect the ground wire to the new V3 first (then connecting the remaining 7), is there anything else I need to be aware of when swapping the new for the old unit?

3. Am I correct that the Concorde AGM switch setting is the most appropriate choice given my sealed mat battery bank?

4. Am I correct that the Enable Equalization switch should remain untouched from the factory (i.e. disabled since my sealed mat batteries don’t require equalization)?

Regards dcp
dcp

Postby dcp on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 am

Sorry Coulomb I am a clutz on a computer

5. Am I correct that I can ignore the Current Limit Adjustment settings (again since my sealed mat batteries don’t require equalization)?

Sorry I forgot the last question dcp
dcp

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 pm

1) Be aware should you add any LEDs, or the parallel solenoid.
2) No.
3) Yes.
4) Not required.
5) Ignore.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby PeterFM on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:43 am

Yes be very aware. Ample Power has reversed the polarity of the Parallel terminal from prevoius models without much warning for those of us who wanted to upgrade to a v3. I wired up my new v3 the same as my old Next Regulator without noting the small print or using my magnifying glass to notice the small wiring diagram change, and poof, up in smoke when I manually switched the Emergency Parallel solenoid switch! Then wait 2 months for Ample Power to repair at considerable expense and still they claim I applied power to the ground terminal. Service and support are not as advertised. Very unhappy customer. Perhaps Balmar next time.
PeterFM

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 am

PeterFM reversed positive and negative on the field drive and alternator
ground to regulator and managed to blow up several components.

His regulator was returned on December 23rd, 2009 - the day before a
short vacation. We were out of stock on one of the parts blown up, so
there was a delay in final repair. However, his claim of two months is
inaccurate.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators