SAR3 Equalization

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

SAR3 Equalization

Postby Mallory on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 pm

After replacing 2 sets of Lifeline AGM batteries over about 7 years, I contacted Justin at Lifeline. The reason I was loosing capacity was because the batteries can't always be fully charged (long-distance cruising sailboat). He said an equalization cycle (15.5 volts for 8 hours) would "bring them back". He said that Ample Power had a regulator with an equalization function and also told me about a promo that Ample Power offered.Trade in your 'Next Step" or "Lifeline" regulator and purchase the SAR3 at a reduced price, which is what I did. I've read all the instructions (several times) and am aware of the requirements for equalization. I can get the regulator into the equalization mode - the problem I have is keeping it there. I start with the pot turned down and slowly increase the voltage. Unfortunately after the voltage is set it continues to "creep" and after a few minutes it reaches the 15.5v limit and switches out of the equalization mode. I have tried to start with a lower voltage (14.7) but even then the voltage eventually creeps upward and reaches the limit long before 8 hours. I've also noticed that the voltage changes with RPM, which makes it impossible to equalize while motoring in anything but flat calm conditions. I would appreciate any information that might help.
Mallory

Re: SAR3 Equalization

Postby Coulomb on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:39 pm

The adjustment is for current, not voltage.

Yes, it will vary with RPM, but if you set it low enough small changes in RPM during motoring should be OK.

You should read about equalization in "living on 12 Volts with Ample Power".
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators