v2 regulator

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

v2 regulator

Postby Nab on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:23 am

My v2 regulator,eliminator & Eamon 2 are playing up, this is what is happening. The amp hours used keep on getting higher even though we have been motoring for up to 12 hours the alternator starts in putting in 45 amps for about 1 hour then gets less and less until it is only putting in 1-2 amps so that each time the used amp hours just keep getting higher , I have had the alternator checked out it is ok , the batteries are only 2 years old 4 by 6 volt I checked the voltage when the batteries are at rest & they show 12.7 so they are ok also the spesific grav readings show fully charged. I reset the house battery bank & this seemed to fix that side of the problem , by the way the start battery is always fully charged. The green indicator light flashes on /off at one second intervals but just before I left to fly back to Australia (the yacht is in Mexico) the green light was staying permanently, if I turned the battery switch off then back on it would start flashing one sec on/off then it would stay on after 20 mins or so . I found a broken wire that was labled "snubber 1030" coming from the active terminal of the alternator & looked like it was going to the negative post on the alt ( it had a wire connector with bits of wire broken etc) but I didn't reconnect it, I am at my wits end & thinking of removing it all & replacing everything but hope that this might be an easy fix if you can help me regards Bruce
Nab

Re: v2 regulator

Postby Coulomb on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 pm

The snubber connects between positive and negative on the alternator. It's there to help absorb transients. It may have broken from vibration, or been blown a part by the 1-2-both switch opening up.

It doesn't appear that you have hard failures. The Eliminator is maintaining the starter battery as it should. The Emon is indicating Volts and Amps. Unplugging it and reconnecting when the batteries are full will clear out internal memory that may be causing errors in Amp-hours.

Rather than rely on voltage or specific gravity, you should do a capacity test on the batteries with the Emon. It's likely that their capacity is on the very low end of their useful life.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Nab on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Thank you for your reply, regarding the flashing green light is that a problem? How do I do a capacity test to the batteries? I can get someone to do this for me, is that an easy test? thank you once again regards Bruce
Nab

Postby Nab on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Regarding the snubber 1030 would that be causing problems with the amp hours ?
Nab

Postby Coulomb on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:28 pm

The snubber will not cause the amp-hours problem. You should obtain a copy of the Ample Power CD which provides details about Amp-hour testing.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Nab on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:48 am

Thanks again for the info what would you advise regarding the lights flashing & staying on do I have a problem? also do I need to reconnect that snubber wire hope to hear from you Bruce
Nab

Postby Coulomb on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 pm

There's no problem with the Eliminator lights.

Don't reconnect the snubber unless is tests OK as diode. Replace it if not.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Nab on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 am

Thank you once again I hope these are the last questions , do I need to have this snubber connected,& how do I test the diode,where can I purchase this item (this would be quicker) hope you are able to help regards Bruce
Nab

Postby Coulomb on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 am

The snubber is not required for normal operation. It helps to reduce transients when the battery switch opens.

You can purchase a replacement from Ample Power Company.

All modern multimeters have a diode test function.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators