Gas Lock SAR V3

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Gas Lock SAR V3

Postby BrianNZ on Fri May 01, 2015 5:44 am

We have had our SAR V 3 working fine for years, but in the past few months it has been giving an increasing frequency of status of Gas Lock. In the past week it has got to the stage it won't charge at all, and the status moves almost immediately to Gas Lock. There is little reference to this in the manual ( only place is under Lock input, which we do not have connected). We have all required wires connected and the only optional one is Limit. All connections have been checked.
Advice greatly appreciated.
BrianNZ

Re: Gas Lock SAR V3

Postby Coulomb on Mon May 04, 2015 1:13 pm

This kind of problem doesn't have a logical explanation. Perhaps the connectors are corroded a little unplugging them and plugging them again will cure the problem.

Moisture on the PCB might cause such a problem, especially if there is any salt content. You can rinse a PCB in plain water as long as it is thoroughly dried afterwards.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby BrianNZ on Wed May 06, 2015 11:13 pm

Thank you Coulamb

The "cold boot" seems to have worked. We will be giving it a good run in the next few days. Nothing found on connections.

Incidentally, I note that the amber light (Parellel) seems to have a mind of its own coming on at different times. Nothing in the literature seems to define its activities. I have nothing connected to Parellel.

I would appreciates any additional comment on this please.
BrianNZ

Postby Coulomb on Thu May 07, 2015 12:24 am

The amber LED is connected to the parallel output and comes on when it is determined that the house bank can be charged.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby BrianNZ on Fri May 08, 2015 3:12 am

Thank you again. However, we don't seem to have resolved the issue. Today we motored for several hours with batteries at 70% and whilst the smart charger indicated that it was "bulk charging", nothing was going in. It then moved to Gas Charge and nothing into the batteries. I did have solar running at the time, but as it was early morning only about 1 - 3 amps was applied from that source. Again no errors indicators detected. The amber light was on. Gas lock however has not been seen again. Can you suggest any additional information to assist.
BrianNZ

Postby Coulomb on Fri May 08, 2015 11:18 am

Any further analysis needs measurements. See the troubleshooting guide here: http://www.amplepower.com/trouble/index.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby BrianNZ on Fri May 15, 2015 1:13 am

Smart charger table results jpeg.jpg
Trouble shooting results
Smart charger table results jpeg.jpg (458.44 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
Thanks Coulomb.

I have completed troubleshooting measurements and from deciphering the analysis, they look broadly in line what is expected. I have attached a copy for your thoughts.

My Alternator is a Bosch BXH 1239, dedicated to the house bank. It has recently been serviced with bearings and brushes and tested. The SAR worked after th service but the previous intermittent fault continued and now has become a permanent no charge.

I am not technical when it comes to these matters electrical, so would appreciate and addition advice. I am unfortunately in a foreign country which seems to have no experience with these smart chargers and English is very much their second language.
BrianNZ

Postby Coulomb on Mon May 18, 2015 11:28 am

With field voltage following the ignition switch, the problem is external to the regulator, i.e. wiring or alternator.

Has that bosch alternator been modified for external regulation?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby BrianNZ on Tue May 19, 2015 3:03 am

Thanks.
As I said at the start, it has been working fine for several years before the fault started intermittently and has now failed completely. No modification has been done recently. Based on your reply I think I will need to find someone who can check my alternator and possibly its wiring to the smart charger. Not sure where I will find someone over here but I will start looking. Is there any laymans way to check if the alternator is at fault?
BrianNZ

Postby Coulomb on Tue May 19, 2015 9:54 am

Here is the way: http://www.amplepower.com/trouble/alt_sys/index.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators