yacht charging system

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

yacht charging system

Postby MikeS on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:41 pm

On my liveaboard yacht I run a solar panel (150watt) system through a 20watt regulator (dingo) into a 120 amp/hr LiFePo storage battery and a small LiFePo starter battery for the 14hp Beta diesel auxiliary. The diesels 40 amp alternator charges through a Vitron battery isolator. All good except the pathetic charging from the alternator. .18-20 amps at very best dropping rapidly to less than 10 amps ( I have a Vitron monitor) I guess caused by the relative high voltage of the LiFePo batteries.
Any thoughts on a simple fix.mikes
MikeS

Re: yacht charging system

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 pm

With the space available on the Kubota engines fitted with a heat exchanger, there is much room for a larger alternator.

You might post a picture so we can see the actual space.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby MikeS on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks for that. Beta have a 70 amp alternator as an option.but
surely that too would go into " float " mode after sensing the LiFePo batteries high voltage
I, d be happy with 20 amps + if the charge could be maintained
Mike
MikeS

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:38 am

Isolators cause more problems than they solve.

Alternators with built-in regulators are not appropriate for charging deep cycle batteries. They cut back output current to keep the alternator from overheating. A true hot rated alternator does not need current foldback.

You need a hot rated alternator with a multistep regulator, such as the SARV3 which does allow current limiting when at the engine power is needed for propulsion.

You might want to look at the Ample Power Primer: http://www.amplepower.com/primer/index.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators