SAR V3 equalization

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

SAR V3 equalization

Postby sargo on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:30 am

good morning:

I am trying to configure the equalization values for my FullRiver AGM batteries. after reading the manual several times I still have a few questions:

Question 1: Does the setting of the Battery Type Selection dip-switches set the equalization voltage?
Question 2: How do I set the applied current using R12? How do I get feedback that I have set this correctly? I have 440 Ah capacity.
Question 3: to activate equalization do you recommend adding a switch on the EQL input, or a switch across the two pins of P1?
Question 4: If I choose to use the EQL input do I jump the P1 pins?
Question 5: If i apply a switch across the two pins of P1 do I leave this switch on throughout the equalization period?
Question 6: finally: the last sentence in the equalization section says: "Equalization will terminate automatically whenever the ending voltage or time is achieved." Are the "ending voltage" and "time" pre-configured? Will this automatic termination occur if the pins at P1 are jumped together?

thanks very much for your help.
Sargo
sargo

Re: SAR V3 equalization

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:16 pm

1) Dip switches select the appropriate regimen.

2) Measure battery current as the adjustment is made.

3) EQL, (optional) ...an input that activates either the regulator's equalization mode or a second duty-cycle current limit, depending on the internal jumper P1. This input is activated when battery voltage is applied to EQL. The duty-cycle current limit is adjusted with potentiometer R12 (Refer to Figure 2). Refer to the Equalization section for the operating description.

4) The EQL input is used for a second current limit whenever the input signal is activated. To enter the actual equalization mode, the two pins of P1 must be first shorted with a jumper terminal or a switch connected to the two pins, refer to Figure 2. This changes the mode of the EQL input signal to regulate at the equalization voltage set-points as well as current limit. Then the EQL input should be momentarily activated for at least two seconds and then released. A second momentary action will terminate the equalization process. Equalization will terminate automatically whenever the ending voltage or time is achieved.

5) Yes

6) See 1) and yes.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby sargo on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Thank you for your response. I think I am getting closer...

One more clarifying question: <your answer from the manual>
4) The EQL input is used for a second current limit whenever the input signal is activated. To enter the actual equalization mode, the two pins of P1 must be first shorted with a jumper terminal or a switch connected to the two pins, refer to Figure 2. This changes the mode of the EQL input signal to regulate at the equalization voltage set-points as well as current limit. Then the EQL input should be momentarily activated for at least two seconds and then released. A second momentary action will terminate the equalization process. Equalization will terminate automatically whenever the ending voltage or time is achieved

So are you saying: that I need both the two pins of P1 jumped, AND a method to apply battery voltage to EQL to enable equalization?

again thanks
sargo

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Yes,

Without the P1 jumper than the EQL input is current limit only.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby sargo on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks very much.

I'll get a momentary switch next time i'm in the states and wire it up.

Again thanks for your quick response.

John
s/v Sargo
sargo

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators