AGM Equalization no working

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

AGM Equalization no working

Postby petedd on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:04 pm

I have an SAR V3 which has done a great job managing my 6HP 12V alternator/scuba compressor genset. I use the LIMIT 1 to shift the alternator down when the compressor clutch is engaged and that has worked famously for several years. Now for the first time I am wanting to use the unit to equalize my batteries (as I am away for a source of AC and have used my Magnum charger/inverter for equalizing in the past).

Here is what I am doing and what I am seeing:

DOING:
1: Battery DIP set to Concorde AGM (I have Lifeline AGMs) (DIP: on, on, off)
2- EQL JUMPER: shorted with cap
3- Engine running.
4- EQL LIMIT INPUT: connect to BAT VOLTS (or B+) for two or more seconds and then released (LIMIT 1 is NOT engaged, ABS and LOCK are not used).

SEEING:
1- STATUS LIGHTS show Equalization mode (6 seconds on, 6 seconds off) BUT ONLY FOR A CYCLE OF TWO OF THE STATUS LIGHTS, then status returns to absorption.
2- Voltage never goes over 14 volts
3- Current never goes over 15 amps. I have tried setting LIMIT POT all the way CCW, all the way CW, and at a variety of intermediate settings. Nothing seems to change. The unit will not stay in Equalization mode for more than a few seconds and never shows a voltage that one would associate with an equalization charge.

Otherwise, the system works great for charging.

What can I check? Any ideas why is equalization not happening here?

Also, when does the SAR V3 "read" the battery type dip switches? Is it when the On/Off goes to On?

Thanks!
petedd

Re: AGM Equalization no working

Postby Coulomb on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Please see this post:

http://www.amplepower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=665
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby petedd on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Excellent point about the pulsing and the volt meter not registering to peaks. That would not seem though to explain why the status lights go from indicating equalization to indicating absorption after just a few seconds. Can you tell me why the Equalization status is only reflected on the status lights for just a few seconds? Thanks!
petedd

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Because the voltage hits the set point to drop out of equalization. Turn down current limit and it may stay longer, but only if the batteries can accept the current.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby DougA on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am

I'm having the same problem. Yes the voltage shows getting to the set point of 15.5 then goes to float. So I assume the regulator is functioning. My real problem is my Lifeline AGM's go to 12.5 volts after a very brief charge cycle. Lifeline says to equalize at 15.5v for 8 hours. How do tell the regulator that? I don't have AC available at anchor.
DougA

Postby Coulomb on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am

Turn down the current limit so the voltage doesn't trip out so soon.

Have you done a capacity test on the batteries?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby DougA on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:47 pm

The pot Doesn't have a mechical stop. I would like to go low then work up but it's like shooting in the dark. haven't done the capacity test based on Lifelines intsructions in there manual to use their test equipment. I guess I could put a 25watt resistor across as the load but that seems like the brut force method.
DougA

Postby Coulomb on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:45 pm

The pot is 20 turns with a clutch so turn it 20 turns CCW.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby DougA on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 am

That did it! I set the pot to 20 ccw then started the equalization. Bumped up the amps to 25A which is close to half way between 3-7% of my 525 house bank. How does the starter battery fit into the cycle? The isolation light on the V3 (amber) is not illuminated as yet. Will it isolate at some point?

Ah, patience! The starter battery has finally isolated itself! Question answered!

At about an hour or hour and a half into the equalization cycle the voltage reached 14.3 and the controller isolated the starter battery and also interned the Absorption Hold mode. Why did it not reach the 15.5 volts I programmed into the equalization voltage setting? The V3 is presently at 14.1v and 29A. What can I expect to see next?
DougA

Postby Coulomb on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Please see this post.

http://www.amplepower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=665
Coulomb
Site Admin

Next

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators