NS 2 with Ctek D250s Dual and Smartpass

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

NS 2 with Ctek D250s Dual and Smartpass

Postby Ktait on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:51 am

Hi, I have just purchased a Hunter 41 AC and have had the alternator (Hitachi 80 amp) converted to p type and installed the NS 2 regulator and 230 watts of solar panels. My preference is to integrate the system using the Ctek D250s dual and smartpass giving DC -DC charging with a separate solar input.
My Question is will the NS2 work with this configuration? Should the battery sensor from the NS2 be relocated to the starting battery?
Ktait

Re: NS 2 with Ctek D250s Dual and Smartpass

Postby Coulomb on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:45 pm

We predict alternator failure when the house battery is deeply discharged. You should check its temperature.

Keep the temp. sensor on the house battery.

You should not have a problem with the Ctek in the system.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Ktait on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you have any suggestions for a replacement alternator that will handle the load or a suitable temperature sensor for the alternator.
Should a temperature sensor relay on the alternator switch the field output of the NS2?
Ktait

Postby Coulomb on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:46 pm

The Ample Power alternator #4023-S is a hot rated alternator with the saddle mount to replace the Hitachi.

Sensing alternator temperature of the case is only part of the problem. The real issue is hot spots internal to the alternator which can't be sensed. Without a lot of engineering tests developing a curve of correlation between the hot spots, the case temperature, the load current, and load duration one can only make a wild guess and stick on a thermostat, and keep the fingers crossed.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators