NS2 Regulator for Hitachi Alternator

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

NS2 Regulator for Hitachi Alternator

Postby Gammon on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:11 pm

I have purchased an NS2 to externally regulate the Hitachi LR 180-03C 80 amp alternator which came with my Yanmar engine. I have purchased 400 ah of Lithium Ion batteries which can accept a very high charge rate. The Guru, Nigel Calder strongly recommends heat sensing at the alternator to protect the alternator from overheating. Is it possible for a heat sensor on the alternator to interface with the NS2 to reduce load on the alternator until it cools down. I have a battery heat sensor which is probably of little use for the Lithium batteries. Any assistance with above or alternative solutions would be appreciated.
Gammon

Re: NS2 Regulator for Hitachi Alternator

Postby Coulomb on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Hitachi alternators are an automotive unit and not recommended for deep cycle charging because they will overheat and die. If you decide to use it, then a thermostat can be used to turn the regulator off when it opens.

However, while protecting an alternator from overheating sounds like a good idea, in practice it is problematic.

The killer heat is inside the alternator stator windings and the diodes. There is a long time lag between internal heat and what gets sensed externally. An internal regulator is a little closer to the heat, but even so, alternators and the internal regulator fail from overheating. If you use a thermostat, then it needs to shutoff the regulator at the same time the internal regulator starts to cut back output.

Effectively, you're back where you started.

If you're serious about a fast, full charge, then you must use a hot rated alternator that needs no temperature sensing. It is constructed with special materials and provides circulation to reduce heat trapped internally.

What lithium batteries are you using?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Gammon on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:34 pm

We are using 4 only Winston LiFePO4 400 AH 3.2V cells in series along with a 40 AH Winston 12 V cranking battery with charging in parallel by DVSR and ability to parallel output if necessary. The individual cells do not have their own battery management systems however we have the necessary controls to ensure the correct charging voltage and a low voltage alarm and and separate cut out to prevent over discharge. Our electrician who has experience with these batteries intends put a switch to the alternator to change back to internal regulation if there are fears of overheating. Please advise what type of thermostat to use and how it would connect to the NS2. Our yacht is a new build forty footer in Perth, Western Australia and we may consider a hot rated alternator in the future and keep the Hitachi as a spare. In the meantime we would like a low cost but safe solution. We do not have room for a large frame high output alternator so would like to optimize what we have. Perhaps there are hot rated alternators which are the same physical size as our Hitachi. Thank you for your comments so far.
Gammon

Postby Coulomb on Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:42 pm

We can't provide any suggestions for thermostats.

The hot rated #4023-S alternator from Ample Power is designed to mount on Yanmar engines.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Gammon on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:17 am

Thank you for your recommendation of a #4023-S. Would you please email me exact dimensions so I can compare with my Hitachi 80A. We do not have much more width in the engine bay.
Gammon

Postby Coulomb on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:03 pm

See http://www.amplepower.com/products/alt/dimensions/402x-S.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Gammon on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 am

I have satisfied myself that a 4023-S will comfortably replace my Hitachi 80A alternator. Before I email the Ample Power sales team to price having this unit sent to Australia, I would like to confirm the belts and pulleys required. If I do not change the engine drive pulley which has an OD of approximately 120mm (4.72 inches), will this be suitable for the pulley which comes with the 4023-S. My current belt is a Mitsubishi RECMF 6430 cogged belt which is 13mm wide. I am able to source Gates Super HC belts in Australia. Your recommendations on pulleys and belts would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, John
Gammon

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

The standard pulley for that alternator is 10 mm, which has been standard for Yanmar engines with the 55A Hitachi.

The engine sheave is OK. The belt you now have may be suitable.

We can supply the alternator with any pulley. Be sure to specify the size when you order it.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators