SARV312

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

SARV312

Postby atmarineserv on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi Coulomb,
I have just purchaced a SARv3 and installed it connected to a 80A altenator, feeding a bank of 260AH Mastervolt AGM. The power comes from a Yanmar 1GM10 10HP. I have watched it charge in bulk, and change the temp sensor, and watched the voltage go down when temp goes up, and it cycled through Bulk, absorbtion, and then ramped to float. All seemed to work spot on, and am very happy so far. My question come in, is there any way to ramp the initial bulk to prevent the altenator going to full output (already have it throttled back slightly with limit 1) immeditley. It seems it would be nice to load the engine gradually over several seconds, rather than all at once. Is this possible to do? Next question, can I use a jumper from B+ to limit 1 as a perement limit, or should I run a wire from the positive distrubution w/ a 3A circuit protection a you specd? Also is there an updated Batt Mon avaible for batt bank monitoring? Thanks,and well done on a good product thus far!!
atmarineserv

Re: SARV312

Postby Coulomb on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:20 am

There is some ramp up of field current but it's not very noticeable listening to the engine.

Is it necessary? At idle, you'd be lucky to get 8A from the alternator. At 13V that's 104 Watts, or about 0.14 HP -- make 0.28 HP with alternator inefficiency included.

Even if you start the engine at full RPM and get 80 Amps, and including inefficiency you're less than 3 HP. This isn't enough load to get the engine up to operating temperature.

Sorry, we don't have a battery monitor at this time.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Re: SARV312

Postby atmarineserv on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Coulomb,
I have checked with a clamp on fluke meter, and with out the limit 1 powered, the altenator goes to full feild, or very close to it right away. The ampmeter will go from 0 to around 83A in a seacond or less. This is while the engine is around 1500 RPM. Should the ramp up be longer than this? his still puts a considerable load on the engine. Is there any way to increase the ramp up time to bulk charge? Thanks!
atmarineserv

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators