Share temperature sensor between two reglators?

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

Share temperature sensor between two reglators?

Postby petedd on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:58 pm

I have a Smart 3-step regulator and a V3, for my engine and 12V genset/scuba compressor. Can the #2018 temperature sensor be shared between the two units. I am getting a stack of sensors on my battery (and I can't find my second temperature sensor... (I know it will show up as soon as I order another one...)

PS: Love the step-down feature of the V3. I use this to back down the alternator when the electric clutch on the scuba compressor kicks in. Brilliant!
petedd

Re: Share temperature sensor between two reglators?

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 am

The sensor can be shared as long as both regulators stay powered up. If one shuts off then the temperature read by the other will be bogus.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby petedd on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply.

By "on" do you mean it has B+ and ground or do you specifically mean that the On/Off terminal has power (the manual says that the On/Off terminal controls power to the alternator field circuits)?

Since I read that the temp sensor has a voltage drop of 2.98 V at 25 deg C and a slope 10mV/deg C, I would guess the sensor is just an LM335Z encased in a battery lug. Simple enough for me to whip up and I probably have some already in my parts box.

Thanks again.
petedd

Postby petedd on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 am

Coulomb,

By "on" do you mean it has B+ and ground or do you specifically mean that the On/Off terminal has power (the manual says that the On/Off terminal controls power to the alternator field circuits)?

Pete
petedd

Postby Coulomb on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:04 pm

It needs power on the B+ input.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Next Step Regulators