diode between the alternators pos and neg terminals?

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

diode between the alternators pos and neg terminals?

Postby stansroga on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:29 pm

I am using an NS2 Regulator with a PRESTOLITE 120 amp automotive alternator. The Prestolite alternator came with an internal regulator that was disabled. Note, the Prestolite internal regulator was originally disabled to be used with a NS1 regulator. I think (not sure) the same shop that installed the NS1 also madeup a wire with a diode that went between the Prestolite main positive and main negative terminals? I accidentally burned up this diode/wire by disconnecting and cleaning the main positive cable on the Prestolite and then forgetting to re-attach that cable to the Prestolite and then starting the engine. The local alternator shop can not read the numbers on the diode or even tell what direction the diode was oriented or knows what the diode is needed for? Any ideas here?? Stan Sroga

Re: diode between the alternators pos and neg terminals?

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:49 am

The device is a transient absorber, and it may have saved your alternator from more damage. It's called a Snubber, and is available from Ample Power Company.
Site Admin

Return to Next Step Regulators