Next Step always on

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

Next Step always on

Postby Jtot on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:16 am

I recently bought a boat with an Ample Power
Next Step regulator and had the engine removed and repowered over the winter. Now, the green
light blinks even when the engine is not running and my alternator is warm
and my ammeter shows a constant approximately 4.5A draw unless I shut off the battery
switch that goes to the starting battery. I suspect that when they
reinstalled the engine after rebuild that they changed some wires around, probably ones attached to the ignition switch so now the Next Step regulator is powered all the time.
With the engine not running and the ignition key switched off, I checked
the voltage on the on/off wire (2nd from left) and it was 12V with a constant very low
current flow and the green light blinks indicating (I think) bulk charge. I believe that the voltage into the number 2 wire (ON/OFF
or ignition) next step regulator should be zero with the ignition switch turned
off. Am I correct? Is there anything else besides an incorrectly wired ignition switch that could cause this? Thanks
Jtot

Re: Next Step always on

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:29 am

The regulator is applying field voltage to the alternator when it shouldn't. This is a failure in the drive circuits. The Next Step Regulators can no longer be repaired.

You can get a $50 discount on a new NS2 or SAR V3 regulator. Email ruth at amplepower.com.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Jtot on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 am

Coulomb wrote:The regulator is applying field voltage to the alternator when it shouldn't. This is a failure in the drive circuits. The Next Step Regulators can no longer be repaired.

You can get a $50 discount on a new NS2 or SAR V3 regulator. Email ruth at amplepower.com.

So, it's normal for the on/off wire to show 12 volts and have a small current flow all the time with the engine not running? I was thinking that the presence of voltage in the ignition or on/off switch (pin 2) with the engine turned off would tell the regulator to provide power to excite the alternator field, so the regulator is only doing what it is being told to do by the presence of voltage in the ignition input wire. Shouldn't there be zero volts in the ignition wire when the engine is not running?

I actually tried my spare, identical Next Step regulator and had the same indications as with the original Next Step regulator, so to me that indicated the problem was not inside my regulator.
Jtot

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:30 pm

Sorry, I missed that.

Here's what the manual says:
ON / OFF, (required) ...a positive voltage that turns on the regulator. Typically it is connected to the ignition switch or oil pressure switch. Typical draw is 0.03 Amps.
NOTE: On gasoline engines DO NOT connect at the spark coil ... connect at the ignition switch.

Manual is here:
http://www.amplepower.com/wire/next/nextp.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Jtot on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:10 am

Thanks for the confirmation. It's what I thought but wanted to be sure before I dug into changing around wires on my ignition switch.

BTW, I did read up on the newer regulators you mentioned and they sound like things have definitely advanced, but the old Next Step regulators seem to do an adequate job. My one worry is that it isn't really set up for my AGM batteries and I don't want to ruin them by overcharging. Will the temperature sensor connected to the battery terminal prevent that or are my AGM batteries likely to be damaged by the Next Steps charging regimen?
Jtot

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:26 am

Adjust the regulator per the manual to the appropriate voltage for the AGM batteries and they will be OK.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Jtot on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:10 am

Thanks Coulomb!
Jtot

Return to Next Step Regulators