Scorching above parallel connection on both Next Step Regula

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

Scorching above parallel connection on both Next Step Regula

Postby ClintB on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:49 am

Hi,

The back story. My Next Step Regulators are OEM from what I can tell on my 2005 Island Spirit Cat (built in South Africa) We bought the boat July 2014 and charging of house bank has been OK until the two weeks ago. Strange smell from Stb engine compartment. Very hot to touch Optima Blue top staring battery (later discovered vent disc in aft part of engine compartment). Both continuous duty solenoids in electrical panel very warm and Xantrac charger/inverter control show batts @ 13.5. Next visit to boat to trouble shoot the system and install new start battery for stb. motor. Both Next Step's show error of can't close field. House battery bank is 6 group 31 AGM @ 105 ah and shows 12.6v. Stb start batt shows voltage @12.8 and increase to 13.8 with RPM rise. Port start batt 12.6v and no rise. Both tachometers are not working now, they were functioning prior to smell event.

Both alternators are being rebuilt at a reputable shop in Ft Lauderdale. Stb tested fine, but diode pack was fried. Port failed testing and diode pack was also fried.

Attached is a photos of the back side of the Next Step covers and the regulators.

Time for V3 with a dual alt controller?

Thanks,
Clint Boram
Finding Balance IS401
Coconut Grove Sailing Club.
Attachments
IMG_0222.JPG
Port Next Step
IMG_0222.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2207 times
IMG_0223.JPG
Stb Next Step
IMG_0223.JPG (2.33 MiB) Viewed 2204 times
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG (3.24 MiB) Viewed 2197 times
ClintB

Re: Scorching above parallel connection on both Next Step Regula

Postby Coulomb on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Letting the smoke out is not good. With both alternators and a regulator fried, I'd suspect that a battery switch opened. You should read this URL about switch failures: http://www.amplepower.com/primer/burnt_sw/index.html.

An SAR V3 and a Dual Alternator Controller would be a big improvement over you present system.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Scorching above parallel connection on both Next Step Regula

Postby ClintB on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks you for the reply.

The battery switch did take several rotation from on to off (with motors shut down of course) to remove power from the system. I would be surprised once I pull the battery switch to find it's time is up also.

Cheers,
Clint
ClintB

Return to Next Step Regulators