Three Step Regulator Model 1021-A

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

Three Step Regulator Model 1021-A

Postby Bokma on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:58 am

My regulator seems to have stopped operating. I noticed a Voltage of !5.5+ when my engine was running. I never saw such high voltage before. I tried to adjust the R1 setting but no number of turn changed the voltage. Per the instruction manual I tried to reset the unit by removing Pin 2 connection. It made no difference. I tried removing the sensor Pin 1 but that seemed to stop all voltage from the alternator.

I have a separate voltage indicator and it consistently shows 15+ volts with the engine running and more normal battery voltage with it off. I checked the voltage at the batteries with my volt meter and it confirms the voltage readings. Prior to running the engine the readings indicate 13-13.7 volts. When running the engine the voltage gradually climbs to 15+ volts and stays there.

My solar panel regulator is working normally but shuts off when the voltage from the alternator moves into the 15+ range. I assume it assumes fully charged batteries at that voltage.

I am concerned this high voltage if continuous will damage by starting battery and house batteries as I assume my alternator is only externally regulated.

I checked the unit's fuse and it is fine. I could not locate fuses on the wires at the battery. Perhaps they were not installed at installation. The unit came with the boat.

I am willing to install a new unit if necessary but would prefer to do it off season when I can get professional help. For now my preference is to get the existing unit to work at least for the season.

The online trouble guides are for newer units than mine. Mine has no indicator lights and only 6 pins. I also checked the sensors and connections at the batteries. They appear to be fine. The connections at the unit are also good.

The unit is slightly warm to the touch if that is relevant.

Any suggestions?
Bokma

Re: Three Step Regulator Model 1021-A

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:13 pm

The symptoms all point to a failure of the field driver. The unit is over 25 years old and not repairable.

You can buy a replacement, the NS2 with a 10% discount since you're already an AmplePower customer.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Bokma on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 am

Thank you for the response. I am happy to buy a new unit. Just wondering if it will connect up to existing wiring or I will need a fairly big rewire?
Bokma

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 am

You can use existing wiring.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Next Step Regulators