Voltage Runaway Error

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

Re: Voltage Runaway Error

Postby Verdi on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes It is positive...(my old board was NS2 not NS) but listen.... The new NS2 is connected (for testing it) to a stabilized power supply, the voltage is 12,50 and the same positive output is connected to pin 1-3, the same negative to pin 3-8 to reproduce the ideal situation on the boat when NS2 is powered with ignition OFF (no other connection like temperature sensor, solenoid...field etc...to simplified...) The question is: In this very simple situation, Is it normal to have an alarm ???

I'm very disappointed for these reason:

- the first NS2 lasted only 3 year....
- NS2 in italy costs like a netbook (about 400 euros)
- My reseller said me that Ns2 works only with ignition ON, and you say the opposite !!!
Verdi

Postby Coulomb on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:43 pm

You can read the manual about the parallel solenoid circuits. They stay active at all time that there is B+ applied.

Do you have a battery selector switch? They are unreliable and the cause of many regulator and alternator failures. See this: http://www.amplepower.com/primer/burnt_sw/index.html.

A overvoltage error can occur if B+ is above the setpoint on the voltage adjustment pots.

You have two regulators doing the same thing. Please send one in for bench testing here.
Ample Power Company, LLC.
6315 Seaview Avenue, NW
Seattle, WA 98107
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Verdi on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:33 am

Excuse me...but i think i can't explain with words.... so there is a video if you would watch it:

This video explain how works this NS2 before and after ignition.
The Ignition is made with scissors, connecting PIN 1 and 5
Connection cable are:
1-3 positive
3-8 negative

there's no switch...solenoid...other part, only minimum connection required:

the answer must be:

-THIS NS2 WORKS CORRECTLY
-THIS NS2 DO NOT WORKS PROPERLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE6T5uuj-mQ

(please copy and past in your browser)

If It's broken , i will return it to the seller !
CouIomb, I can consider your answer an official voice of "ample power", isn't it ?

many thanks.
Verdi

Postby Coulomb on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 am

Read the very first message in this thread. You have one of the regulators made right after the processor was changed by the manufacturer and programming flash changed a little.

As noted, the problem goes away, (and stays away as long as B+ stays connected), after the first actuation of the ignition switch. Your video shows that operation and the parallel indicator then comes on as expected without the ignition input.

The regulator operates normally in all other regards.

Yes, I can speak for Ample Power Company.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Verdi on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 am

I read the first message,

in short, I have to consider that alarm and that operating mode is NORMAL....

....however there's no mention in the manual and I don't understand the utility of that mode...if normal it is...to have the parallel is necessary to turn the engine key ON for a few second every time B+ is connected for the first time. the older card was better!

eventually i must not return to the dealer...right?
Verdi

Postby Coulomb on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:34 pm

The operation is normal for the regulator you have. About 50 units were produced with that firmware. We can re-flash the firmware if you return it to us.

But why are you disconnecting B+? If you want it to work as a battery combiner then B+ must be connected. You only have to actuate the ignition input once to clear the condition and it stays cleared as long as B+ stays connected.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Verdi on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Now It's very clear....50 units with that firmware.

I disconnect B+ every time i go away from the boat (2 times a week). It's not a big problem the initial ignition, although i have to switch on the engine battery, go on the deck, actuate the ignition, back in the cabin, switch off the engine battery...

I wouldn't return to "ample power" the unit, but if it's possibile...i'll be happy to re-flash by myself, i know, it's necessary a software, the new firmware and a serial connection...if you can send me the necessary... ??
Verdi

Postby Coulomb on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:09 pm

You would need a JTAG adapter and software specific to the MSP430.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Verdi on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:11 pm

It's not a problem...the specific software i think could be this one:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP430_Flasher_-_Command_Line_Programmer?DCMP=MSP430&HQS=Other+OT+msp430flasher
i don't have now a jtag adapter but i can find one...it's less expensive that a US shipment! for you and for me!

If you want to send me the new firmware and a short guideline with connection, type of adapter, command line etc.., good....otherwise if it's impossible or too complicate for you, it's ok the ignition every time! :D

thank you for your time.
Verdi

Postby Coulomb on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Sorry, I can't do tech support on how to flash new firmware into the processor.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Previous

Return to NS2 Regulators