dual alternators

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

dual alternators

Postby scott on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm a little confused about dual alternators with the NS2. it seems it's "optional"

the case of my NS2 has the unchecked box beside two alternator. So I guess mine doesn't have this option?

does this mean I can't add the DAC?

they are both on the same engine. do I have any options? can this unit split the field output to both? does the two alternator option allow me to do this?
scott

Re: dual alternators

Postby Coulomb on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35 pm

The dual alternator option was withdrawn because the volume was too low to maintain production. Sorry, but that's the state of the new economy.

The only way to control two alternators with the DAC is using the SAR V3.

You can make a trade. Contact Ruth at you know where.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Curtis on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:42 am

I have a dual alternator (twin engine) installation and am considering simply installing two NS2's (one on for each alternator/engine). This gives me redundancy in the event of a failure and two totally independent charging sources. Aside from some additional cost, are there any downsides to this approach? Any installation details I need to consider?

Thanks.
Curtis

Postby Coulomb on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:54 am

You can do that, but if they are charging the same battery, once it is charged, only one regulator will continue to operate.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Curtis on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Twin engines each with its own alternator and start battery. Paralleling system combines house bank and starts for charging. Separate paralleling solenoid for each start battery. Charge goes first to house and then parallels in start.

So, it appears to me that each NS2 would be wired to the field and parallel for each engine, but share same voltage sense for house.

When you say "continue to operate"...do you just mean it will drop field voltage?

Thanks.
Curtis

Postby Coulomb on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:33 pm

If the regulators are sensing the same battery, the one with the lowest setpoint will drop field voltage when that setpoint is exceeded by the the other regulator.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Curtis on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:47 am

I can live with that. That happens anyway in effect with a single NS2 when the set-point is reached it drops field and thus drops the tachs.

I think if I get the set-points very close then it will be no more of an inconvenience that it is with a single NS2 and a small induced load should resolve the issue.

In my case (as I expect with many external regulator owners) I spend a lot of time in remote locations (currently in San Blas Panama) so redundancy is important. Having two NS2s gives a more options to work around problems.

Thanks.
Curtis

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:39 am

As long as you understand the issue, then you can work with it.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Newton on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi , I am Working on a Boat that has an Ample Dual Alternator controller that is Fed by a Charles Industries regulator.. Both Alternators are the exact same units and are on the one Engine and are feeding the one Battery Bank .. The Issue we are having is that one Alternator is working 20-30Amps Harder than the other .. Does anyone know what this could be ?? Is there an Adjustment to even them up ?? Please help .. Thanks
Newton

Postby Coulomb on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:17 pm

A dual alternator controller isn't required when both alternators are on the same engine.

Any difference between alternator out is caused by the alternator RPM, or the alternator itself.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Next

Return to NS2 Regulators