NS2 Lightening Strike Damage

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

NS2 Lightening Strike Damage

Postby jace on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:11 am

Hi There,

My NS2 was the victim of some spurious voltage from a lightening strike that hit the top of our mast, while we were onboard unfortunately. This is the only bit of electronics on the engine circuit which I assume is why it got hit (we're a steel boat with the engine earthed to the hull). Funnily enough the strike popped off two spade fittings on the Field+ at the alternator and to the starter motor selonoid+, possibly causing the short. The damage looks quite small, surprisingly none of the on board fuses blew, no PCB damage, just the component at D8 (directly above the fuse bank for TB2 and J4) and the component at Q7 both have burnt out. No damage on the underside of the PCB.

We are in Australia so it would be uneconomical to send it over for repair, is it possible for a local electronics guy to repair this or are they proprietary programmed parts? If not it would still be good to get your expert opinion on why these components blew so I can try and mitigate the problem for its replacement. The board appeared to be otherwise working after the strike, constant red error light but D14 was flashing green as normal.

Many Thanks,

Jace
jace

Re: NS2 Lightening Strike Damage

Postby Coulomb on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:39 am

The only way to prevent damage from lightning strikes is to have everything disconnect prior to the strike.

Lightning strikes leave obvious damage, but there is also stressed parts than may fail at anytime. Replacement will be less expensive than repair, even if repair is possible.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Re: NS2 Lightening Strike Damage

Postby jace on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback, off to the bin it goes.
jace

Return to NS2 Regulators