Error: Can't turn field off (one on; one off)

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

Error: Can't turn field off (one on; one off)

Postby Gweb on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:03 am

I am presently offshore and when I started my genset (Ample RRG-32 alternator) last night to charge my new Lifeline GPL 8DL batteries, I began to get a wild fluctuation in charge rate from +49amps to -40amps, to +49amps to -16amps, to -7amps, consistently on a one second cycle. In checking my NEXT 12P regulator, I am getting a red error code, one on; one off (indicating "Can't turn field off")

On another post I read, there was mention of "resetting" the regulator after replacing new batteries?

Can anyone help me out here short of ending my vacation one day out? Would disconnecting the NEXT 12P and taking a new field wire directly from the battery to the alternator with a rheostat in line work as a kind of manual regulator so as to not exceed to charging voltage of 14.6 (Lifeline says the AGM can take up to 250% of its capacity in amps without overcharging, so I think the critical factor is voltage?)

If possible, please respond to me directly as I am running out of battery power! skykingtwo@gmail.com greg (a.k.a. Gilligan)
Gweb

Re: Error: Can't turn field off (one on; one off)

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 am

To help identify the problem, please post the results of the test procedure found here:
http://www.amplepower.com/trouble/next/index.htm
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Gweb on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm

When searching the URL you gave me I get the following error message:

Not Found

The requested URL /trouble/next/index.htm was not found on this server.
Gweb

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Sorry, the letter l is missing in the link.

See: http://www.amplepower.com/trouble/next/index.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to NS2 Regulators