voltage runaway

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

Re: voltage runaway

Postby JSally on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:47 pm

This morning batteries were at 86% - 613 AHr. Batt V 12.9. Engine @ 1200rpm - V = 15.2 charging 30Amps. Engine @ 1500rpm - V = 15.6.
JSally

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am

We need to know the voltages on all regulator pins to go further. Also the led indicators. Take the measurements when in over voltage and not. Post both sets.

You're battery data doesn't add up. The Amp-hour law says that at onset of charge a battery will accept a current equal to it's capacity depletion and the acceptance rate declines exponentially with time. Your data says the batteries are down about 100 Ah, yet they only accept 30 Amps, and at a high voltage, not a normal charging voltage.

Either:

A. The batteries are no good;
B. The AH Meter is lying;
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby JSally on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm

I have found a problem with the battery installation. I will let you know when this is resolved
JSally

Postby JSally on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:01 pm

This is the story. A fauty battery was removed from the bank last year. The house bank was not rewired properly. Only 1/3 batteries was receiving charge. The other two slowly died and we had the aforementioned problems with the NextStep. New batteries were installed a month ago following the fauly wiring and right from the start the regulator was getting the wrong messages - it was sensing a battery that wasn't being charged and charging a full battery too much.
Carefully tracing back revealed the problem nd it is now fixed - we hope.
Thanks for your imput; it helped me to come to the conclusion that there was something wrong with the battery side not the regulator. Now i guess we have the old NextStep as a spare.
JSally

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks for the details. Sensing a battery that is not being charged will over charge since the regulator doesn't see the charge voltage.

This is a problem when a 1-2-both switch is in the wrong position - just another reason to eliminate those switches.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Previous

Return to NS2 Regulators