One Regulator Two Engines

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

Re: One Regulator Two Engines

Postby gavin on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:24 am

I have a shunt with battery meter. I've trialed it and is accurate. Amp hour meter. Really the only way to keep track of Lithium banks given the flat voltage curve.

Gavin
gavin

Postby gavin on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:03 am

I have a shunt with battery meter. I've trialed it and is accurate. Amp hour meter. Really the only way to keep track of Lithium banks given the flat voltage curve.

Gavin
gavin

gavin

Postby Coulomb on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Who is the manufacturer and what it the model number?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby gavin on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 pm

BEP Marine. BEP 600-DCM2. Contour Matrix. DC Monitor. Serial Num 35026. Installed and working since 2003
gavin

Postby Coulomb on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Please read this post: http://www.amplepower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36

Like all Ah meters, the BEP unit relies on a Peukert's exponent for discharge factor and a factor for charge efficiency.

Peukert is applicable for lead-acid batteries.

Here's what the BEP manuals says about charge efficiency.

"Charge efficiency
Charging Efficiency is set at 85% (factory default) ie the battery will only accept 85% of the charge current.
This is a difficult parameter to set as after 75% recharge the efficiency will fall off to 0% at full charge. The
overall efficiency will change with temperature, battery condition, charging current/voltage and discharge level.
Trial and error with general usage is the only way to find this efficiency."

The regulator is smarter than the monitor.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby gavin on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:10 pm

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your comments?

I am trying to make the regulator correctly send charge to the batteries as per it's owners manual. Presently, it does not.

Let's forget about the meter, what the stage of charge according to it is, and talk about battery voltage. You have confirmed that voltage is what the regulator is sensing and using for transition through stages of charging.

When I turn on the engines, the battery voltage is below the absorption setpoint. Batteries are at 13.1 (measured at the battery terminals with a fluke true RMS). The alternator regulator turns on with ignition of the engine. The pins on the regulator measure the same as those at the battery terminals. I measure the peak voltage with the fluke measured at the regulator and at the terminals and it does NOT reach the absorption setpoint. It never gets above 13.6. The regulator switches to absorption stage anyway and progresses to float.

I have read many of the other posts on this site and I see the helpfulness of your replies to be consistent. If you are simply trying to agitate or distract me then please refrain from comment. If it is in the interests of AmplePower to aid me in technical support for it's products, then please respond with something helpful.

Gavin
gavin

Postby Coulomb on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 pm

What is the model of Fluke meter you are using? Does in have a min/max function?

See this post: http://www.amplepower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=665
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby gavin on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Model is Fluke 116. Yes it has min/max voltage setting and that is what I was using.

Gavin
gavin

Postby Coulomb on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:13 pm

What was the battery temperature when you were taking measurements?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby gavin on Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:38 am

Not measuring battery temperature. Lithium Ion batteries do not require temperature sensing. All installation instructions state to be sure to disconnect any temperature sensing leads for charge sources.

Gavin
gavin

Previous

Return to NS2 Regulators