Initial test for an Ample alternator

For all issue regarding Ample Power Alternators.

Initial test for an Ample alternator

Postby Nati on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 am

Hi,
We have a catamaran and on each engine we have #40223-s alternators for the house batteries. One recently blew the bearings and when we get back stateside (not even attempting to get a new one to the Bahamas) we will be ordering a new unit and a rebuild kit. When I posted on a forum asking for input one person said they recently picked up a new alternator and when she installed the wires she got a big blue spark and the diodes blew. Afterwards she discovered that 3 were installed backwards and that caused the problem.
Things happen but what I want to do is to be able to test the new alternator when I receive it. Just don't want to make a mistake. Is there a test I can perform to make sure the new alternator is good prior to installation?

Thanks,
Dick
Nati

Re: Initial test for an Ample alternator

Postby Coulomb on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:46 am

Sounds like that "new" alternator was assembled incorrectly with diodes interchanged. Maybe it was a rebuild.

You can do a quick test with a ohmmeter, but I've never heard of an Ample alternator without testing.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Nati on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:05 am

So a test of a new alternator using at ohm meter will ensure all diodes are correct? Just off the pos and neg connections?
Nati

Postby Coulomb on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:22 am

Yes.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Alternators