I need help identifying & fixing APC Alternator etc

For all issue regarding Ample Power Alternators.

I need help identifying & fixing APC Alternator etc

Postby WindJunkie on Sun May 31, 2015 4:24 pm

I have a mystery on my hands. I have an APC system on board that has started to fail recently, so I would like to get the entire system identified, back in working condition, and then I will have some questions about handling wind and solar that I intend to add to the boat.

1st: I have a label that has fallen off one of the components (under the Alternator Current Sensor)...I will attach a picture, can you help me identify it?

2nd: It seems my alternator has quit working. It's likely an APC #1023, which I understand gets replaced by a #4023, however the data plate is missing...likely somewhere in the bilge where I cannot reach it. I have followed your instructions for the full-field test, and saw no increase in voltage nor any evidence of an increased load on the engine. Do you rebuild these? Should I send it to you to be tested and replaced? Somehow the alternator drives the tachometer, which now never moves off 0 except for a brief moment if you turn the alternator switch on or off.

Thanks for any help you can give me, Jeff.
Attachments
PB150081-ACS-above-mystery-component.JPG
Mystery component...Voltage Regulator???
PB150081-ACS-above-mystery-component.JPG (686.22 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
2015-05-26 APC-Alt-2.JPG
Alternator back
2015-05-26 APC-Alt-2.JPG (117.85 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
WindJunkie

Re: I need help identifying & fixing APC Alternator etc

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:51 am

Mystery component is a shunt that feeds signal to the Alternator Current Sensor.

Based on the appearance of the alternator, a new one would be a better investment. All that might be salvaged from the old one would be the cases, and they'd need to be sandblasted to get back thermal conductivity.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby WindJunkie on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Oops....wrong component...I knew what the shunt was...I'd like to know what the black box is UNDER the ACS...I've attached another picture with it highlighted in yellow (you likely have to scroll the picture down to see it).

Next...
How do I go about ordering another alternator?
Which one do I order?
Will it have the same connections?
Will it drive my tachometer the same as the old one?

Thanks, Jeff.
Attachments
PB150081-ACS-above-mystery-component-labelled.JPG
What is this component (highlighted in yellow)?
PB150081-ACS-above-mystery-component-labelled.JPG (146.62 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
WindJunkie

Postby WindJunkie on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Also...please verify for me what alternator I need to get to replace it...is it the 4023?

Thanks, Jeff.
WindJunkie

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:12 pm

The black box is probably a #1121 3-step regulator -- circa 1989.

Yes, you want the #4023 alternator. What sheave do you need will be asked when you order.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby WindJunkie on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Thank you for identifying that component for me...
I really hate this way of communicating...it takes forever to get a reply, usually only one question gets answered, and I happen to have horrible internet service where I am...

Please answer:
Will it have the same connections?
Will it drive my tachometer the same as the old one?
It has a 2-groove pulley that has an outermost diameter of 2-3/8 inches (as best I can measure it with a caliper reaching over the engine)...is that what you mean by the sheave?

Next I will have to ask if I need to replace the monitor (does that LOBAT indicator mean its internal battery is failing and it's "90's technology" that cannot be replaced)? I've uploaded another picture. Can I get a manual for it?

Then I will need to know if that regulator will be able to handle inputs from solar and wind

I hate to pile you down with so many questions in one message...but my time to work on this thing is becoming limited, I don't mind spending the money for your components but I need to know that I can get questions answered promptly and thoroughly.

- Jeff.
Attachments
PB150074-APC-Amp-Hr-Monitor-reduced.JPG
monitor
PB150074-APC-Amp-Hr-Monitor-reduced.JPG (31.7 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
WindJunkie

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 am

All the connections are the same on the alternator. If you use the same size pulley then the tach will work the same.

The monitor was last made about 1990. The LoBat indictator is on because the battery alarms are not enabled. Sorry, there is no manual available. The original was a victim of a gleaning during a facility move.

The Smart Alternator Regulator is only able to regulate one or two alternators.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby WindJunkie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi Coulomb,
I am replying in this thread because it has the history of what was done before including pictures I sent.

So, as you may recall from my more recent thread, the alternator is outputting 17.2 volts at anything above idle speed.

When you asked me in the other thread if I have done tests, I replied referring to the current installation (I had done the tests listed for the old alternator)...remember that on the first install of the new alternator, it was working fine, charging fine, etc.

So really nothing else has changed...if you will look through this thread, you will notice the regulator I have...it's an APC, you said likely a 3-step but there are no LEDs or any diagnostic indicators on it that I can find.

Please advise what I should do next...do you want me to do alternator tests?, voltage regulator tests? if so how considering there are no LEDs? I am back in NC, so I will have to wait until my next trip to the boat to do anything, but I would really like to have a plan in place to finally get this thing working...it's been a year now.

Thanks, Jeff.
WindJunkie

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Do all the tests with the new gear.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby WindJunkie on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:29 am

Coulomb,

Please look at the picture posted on 2015-Jun-01 at 03:35pm...and scroll down...it shows what I believe to be the voltage regulator I have on board.

You said it is probably a #1121 3-step regulator circa 1989. So which document would be best to use for testing this unit?

Thank you, Jeff.
WindJunkie

Next

Return to Ample Alternators