Alternator problems - SV Pelikaan

For all issue regarding Ample Power Alternators.

Alternator problems - SV Pelikaan

Postby ruth on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 am

This was emailed to me from Hans Rijsdijk:

Dear Ruth,
We corresponded a few months ago when you sent me new 50A diodes for my Ample Power
Alternator.
These diodes were installed, subsequently failed, replaced again only to fail again,

I have now noticed that every time they fail is when I rev my engine quite high to clean
out the cylinders from coke deposits.

I wonder if your colleagues might have some suggestions as to the reason(s) for this.

Here are the facts:
I have a 100 hp Volvo diesel engine. Max running speed is about 3500 rpm, but normal
running speed is about 2000 rpm. "Cleanout" speed approx 2800 rpm.

I use an Ample power alternator, A Smart Alternator Controller V3 mounted on a control
board put together by your agent Outback Marine in Australia. An Emon provides the control
over the various settings.

The system has been working well for a number of years until someone suggested I should
clean out my engine cylinders every now and then by burning out coke deposits with the
engine running at high revs.

The pulley transmission details are: main drive shaft 180mm dia, Alternator pulley dia
80mm, giving a ratio of less than 2.3 : 1.
Running the engine at 2800 revs makes the alternator run at about 6500 revs, well below
its max revs (I think).

So, what causes the diodes to blow? Could it be a setting on the EMON? If so I could
provide these. If not what else?

I would be very grateful if you could ask one of your expert to comment.

Best regards

Hans Rijsdijk
SV Pelikaan
VK2PEL@Winlink.org
ruth

Re: Alternator problems - SV Pelikaan

Postby Coulomb on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm betting you have one of those battery switches in-line with the alternator. See http://www.amplepower.com/apps/burnt_sw/index.html.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Alternators