New Alternator STILL not working after THIRD installation

For all issue regarding Ample Power Alternators.

New Alternator STILL not working after THIRD installation

Postby WindJunkie on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 am

...so I bought a replacement alternator from APC...

FIrst, they failed to ask me enough questions when I ordered it, and they sent it with the wrong case...after drilling the hole out from 3/8 to 1/2-inch and modifying my mounting bracket, I got the thing mounted and it worked fine. However when I told APC what I did, they told me to ship it back so they could put the right case on it...ok so I did that. That replacement took a long time, and then they put it together wrong..."clocked" it so the holes would not line up with the brackets...however, they managed to catch that problem before they shipped it back to me...but it took another few weeks to do it. Meanwhile I had to leave the boat (I am only there a few times a year) until my next trip. By the way...I guess they considered this my fault, so I got to pay for shipping both ways

Second, they sent the re-assembled alternator to me at my home...next trip to the boat I installed it...nothing...tachometer did move off zero...no charging whatsoever...they said 'send it back'...I did...another shipping charge...and another few months until next trip to the boat.

Third, got it back in Apr this year...brought it with me and installed it again...this time that tach worked fine...but at idle the voltage was 13.7, ANYTHING above 600 rpm and the voltage shoots up to over 17 volts...now it sounds like they will be blaming a faulty regulator (which was working just fine at the beginning of all this...including during the first install...and nothing has been changed except the alternator).

So please help me deal with this and get the thing working
- Jeff.
WindJunkie

Re: New Alternator STILL not working after THIRD installation

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37 pm

What regulator do you have? Have you done the tests in the troubleshooting guides?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby WindJunkie on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Coulomb...I have not done any tests...as I said, it was working perfectly until I sent it back to APC for the case change.

Where is this troubleshooting guide you speak of?

Thanks, Jeff.
WindJunkie

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:19 pm

http://www.amplepower.com/tech_docs/index.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Alternators