old 3-step regulator

For all issue regarding Ample Power Alternators.

old 3-step regulator

Postby skeena213 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:17 am

I have an old Ample Power 3-step regulator running with a converted Chysler Taxi 100amp alternator on my boat.
It has been a great system for almost 20 years, charging a 660ah golf cart battery bank.
The other day I noticed the "snubber" diode on the alternator had separated (physically, not burned) but the system still
works perfectly. My question is, what is the purpose of this"snubber" and can I still get a replacement??
I have not upgraded to Next step regulator as this one is still working.
What is the cost of upgrading? I live in Canada. Thanks
skeena213

Re: old 3-step regulator

Postby Coulomb on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 pm

The snubber is a transient absorber. It blows apart when there is too high a voltage on the battery and it can't absorb anymore power. A lightning strike can blow the snubber, and it can be blown if the 1-2-both switch fails or is opened. Get rid of the switch. See: http://www.amplepower.com/apps/burnt_sw/index.html
Coulomb
Site Admin

Re: old 3-step regulator

Postby skeena213 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for the timely reply. I do not have a switch, the alternator goes directly to the battery isolater.
I my case, the snubber did not blow, it was physically pulled apart. My question is can I replace it?
Does Ample Power still supply them or can I get one elsewhere? Also what would be the cost to upgrade to Next-Step,
or whatever the newest Regulator is called? I live in Canada.
Thanks for you time........Regards.....Vic (skeena213)
skeena213

Return to Ample Alternators