PSC Charger issues

For issue regarding AC operated battery chargers and Smart Charge Manager.

PSC Charger issues

Postby RGarbe on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Here is my question.

I have an SCM and 2 30amp PSC's which i havn't used for a couple years and am remounting them to use on my RV.

The SCM seems fine, but both the PSC's are not working correctly and I wonder what is wrong with them, and whether they can be fixed.

I went through the trouble shooting procedure and the PSC do the following.

One shows 11.1v open and 11.7v closed, and the other shows 29.2v open and 30.3v closed.

They are PSC30-12 185A and 175A respectively
RGarbe

Re: PSC Charger issues

Postby Coulomb on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:48 pm

They both should be in the 13-14 Volt range when the Smart Charge Manager isn't connected.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby RGarbe on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:47 am

YES, I gathered that from the troubleshooting guide.

Do you think they are repairable or should they be replaced?

Bob
RGarbe

Postby Coulomb on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Repair costs more than replacement.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby RGarbe on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi there,

I ordered and recieved a PSC 55 to replace the PSC-30's.

BUT the new unit is nothing like the previous one and has no terminal block for the control wire from the SCM. There is a telephone plug at the top of the unit but no wiring information on it.

What to do???
RGarbe

Postby RGarbe on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi there,

I ordered and recieved a PSC 55 to replace the PSC-30's.

BUT the new unit is nothing like the previous one and has no terminal block for the control wire from the SCM. There is a telephone plug at the top of the unit but no wiring information on it.

What to do???
RGarbe

Postby ruth on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Ron, the wire from the SCM that went into the terminal block of the old style charger connects to the free end wire on the phone plug. The phone plug is then plugged into the phone plug receptacle on the charger. To connect the two wires, use a butt connector.
ruth

Postby RGarbe on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Great, Thanks.
RGarbe

Postby RGarbe on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:01 pm

Everything seems to work fine, but I will check it more closely through a few battery cycles.

ALSO,

The PSC 55 I have recieved bears an uncanny resemblance to the IOTA DSL55 that is currently on my 5th wheel and which I have just disconnected to use my Ample power equipment. Could I have used the IOTA as a power supply or maybe pack it with the PSC-55 if I get a bigger battery bank??? It even has a phone plug input like the PSC 55 and the specs seem identical as far as I can tell.

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls55.htm

I'm sure that their regulator are not up to the ample Power stds, without temp compensation and all, but maybe the basic power supply is ok to pack with the PSC?

Just wondering??

BOB
RGarbe

Postby RGarbe on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:01 pm

Everything seems to work fine, but I will check it more closely through a few battery cycles.

ALSO,

The PSC 55 I have recieved bears an uncanny resemblance to the IOTA DSL55 that is currently on my 5th wheel and which I have just disconnected to use my Ample power equipment. Could I have used the IOTA as a power supply or maybe pack it with the PSC-55 if I get a bigger battery bank??? It even has a phone plug input like the PSC 55 and the specs seem identical as far as I can tell.

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls55.htm

I'm sure that their regulator are not up to the ample Power stds, without temp compensation and all, but maybe the basic power supply is ok to pack with the PSC?

Just wondering??

BOB
RGarbe

Return to AC Battery Chargers