Temperature sender shuts down our new Genie 150.

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

Postby Katmai on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:38 am

Background: total engine run time is 5 hours, Genie has, per temperature gauge, never yet reached normal run temperature of 190 to 215 F. Shut down occurs at 180-185F, as per gauge temperature reading. Oil pressure is at 40-45 psi at shut down. Lots of cooling water is coming from wet exhaust. Genie is in the stock sound enclosure and located in a well ventilated lazaret. The lazaret temperature climbs from 70 to 100 F by the time the Genie shuts down. Genie runs somoothly and does not strain unduly under alternator load.

Three questions:
1) Can I trust that the gauge temperature is correct? (And therefore I can comfortably jumper the high temp shut down on the run controller to ground to see if the run temperature goes up to 190-215 and stabilizes.)

2) Should I trust the shut-down temperature sender and assume that the temperature gauge reading is wrong? (That would assume that the Genie is really running too hot and not at the 180F I read on the gauge. )

3) What should I do next to resolve this high temperature issue?

Thanks for your advice
Eric
Katmai

Re: Temperature sender shuts down our new Genie 150.

Postby Coulomb on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:00 pm

The gauges are not that accurate. The switch is usually much more accurate.

First, read and understand the Genie Cooling Guide. Pay close attention to the intake air section.

You can buy an infrared temperature gauge to measure engine temperature accurately. That was used to determine the 190-215 normal temperature.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Katmai on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 am

Coulomb, thanks for the quick reply. I have some follow-up questions please.

My air intake comes from a seperate lazeret which is vented and at ambient temperature through a large external vent. The intake hose is 1.5 inches in diameter and is about 5 feet long. I also have the optional intake silencer. The Genie temperature goes to 185F (gauge temp) and then shuts down on high temp even with no load on the engine and the lazeret open to ambient 80F air.

Today I ran Genie with the sound enclosure open,the lazeret open and no load on Genie. The open lazeret maintained a temperature of <100F. After an hour plus of running the Genie again tripped on high temp (gauge reading of 185F). After cool-down I removed the temperature switch from the engine. It is a NASON TT-D2B-220R/MP. I placed the probe end into a pot of water and brought it to a boil. The switch tripped to open position just before the water starter showing first signs of wanting to boil. So the switch trips at less than 212F and certainly within the stated operating temperature range (190-215F) of the Genie. The rating of the switch is 220F +\-5F.

Three questions:
1) Do you intend to have a 215-225F shut down temperature for the Genie?

2) Can Ample Power supply a replacement switch? This one has apparently never worked correctly, as I have not yet been able to run the Genie (even under no load and exposed to ambient conditions) without tripping. Who should I contact for a replacement switch?

3) Where on the engine should I read the operating temperature with a suggested infrared meter and what temperature range would be considered normal? 

Thanks Coulomb

Eric
Katmai

Postby Coulomb on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:55 am

It would seem the switch is opening too soon. We do have them in stock.

It's curious why the engine gets that hot with no load. Are you using 50/50 coolant? Have you measured the raw water outflow?

It's good to measure temperature at several places around the engine just to have a profile.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Katmai on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 am

Hi Coulomb,

Yes glycol is 50/50 and have not measure raw water flow, but comparing to our 2 gpm water well this seem more. Agree seems to run hot. Being an engineer I paid much attention to insure proper cooling. Boat is in Australia and we currently live in Poland (for next two years). Going back home to Poland this weekend so this will have to rest again for nine months or so. Will order new sensor and install next time we visit our boat, likely Christmas. Thanks for your help and may contact you again nine months.

Eric
Katmai

Postby Coulomb on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:23 pm

For a long layup, disconnect the hose between the exhaust and the water lift muffler.

It wouldn't hurt to remove the injector and add a little oil, then crank it over by hand a few times.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Katmai on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:17 am

Thanks Colomb, I'll take your advice before leaving.

Eric
Katmai

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers