oil pressure switch

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

oil pressure switch

Postby vessel on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 am

We are have a problem with a genie 121 volt 150 . The motor runs fine for about 4 seconds,the shuts down. I believe the regulator is just the one that came with the unit. I can't seem to find the wiring diagram on the web page to identify it. The oil pressure switch terminal on the side with the wire that has the diode and also go to the relay shows continuity to ground with the engine off is this normal? There is 12volts on the yellow wire on the other side of the oil switch. I have printed out the trouble shoot guide and will work with next week.

Thanks
vessel

Re: oil pressure switch

Postby Coulomb on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:22 pm

What year is the Genie. Does it use a black relay mounted on the foot behind the alternator? Or a separate module?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby vessel on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi

The book the customer has is from 1995, I'm guess that's the year. He pulled out the whole unit and put it back in and it didn't run right. What I know is there is a green board remote mount, It has 2 TB vertical one green led light some other things. I can get you more info on this if needed. The relay was just loose next to the unit at its location but I'm sure it was mounted by the foot . The TB board was untouched and the unit was working before it was pulled out. There is also a low charge, high charge switch remote mounted and a panel mounted display. In my testing of the oil pressure switch being grounded on the diode side (motor off)makes me believe my relay is being shorted , heating up and opening.

Thanks
vessel

Postby Coulomb on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:21 am

It sounds like this unit. http://www.amplepower.com/wire/genie/index.html

The diode powers the relay during cranking. The water temperature switch has to be closed for it to work which sounds like it is.
Once cranking is done, the oil pressure switch must be closed to keep the run relay activated.

Usually these kinds of problems are fuel, fuel, or fuel.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby vessel on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:35 am

Hi

When the engine stops its because of the throttle solenoid shuts off because of the relay. I guess the best questions is if you had a brand new oil pressure switch on a motor would the side of the switch with the diode wire be ground when the engine was off?

Thanks
vessel

Postby Coulomb on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:49 pm

You're reading through the relay coil which is grounded on the other side via the high temp. switch.

It may be a bad oil pressure switch. Try a jumper temporarily to get it running and then remove the jumper. It will stop if the switch is bad, or there really is low pressure.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers