Solenoid cover

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

Solenoid cover

Postby dfansler on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:24 am

The solenoid cover on my Genie 150 has shreaded. I currently have a wire tie keeping the solenoid core from leaving the solenoid. Does Ample sell replacement covers?
Thanks,
David
dfansler

Re: Solenoid cover

Postby ampie on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 pm

David, which solenoid are you talking about? Engine solenoid or the throttle solenoid?

If engine we will need the model and serial number of the engine to get you the correct cover/part.

If the throttle solenoid, is the solenoid still functioning okay? We may have some spare "boots" (covers) around. (We have since changed to a fuel cut off solenoid.) Could you send a picture?

Let us know. Thanks.
ampie

Postby dfansler on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Sorry for the delay. It is the throttle solenoid. I took a picture which I will try to attach.
I am currently having another problem with my Genie 150 I hope you can address. I am not able to get the full 150 amps from the unit - the engine tends to bog down. That is when I can keep it running :-). I was sitting out hurricane Irene last weekend, planning to use the Genie to keep me comfortable. Only it kept dying even without a load. I changed fuel filters from the one supplied with the unit at purchase to the primary engine fuel filter - done with two 3more way valves. No change. The fuel pump was burning hot to touch. This a second fuel pimp from Ample - ether first died. So I ran out to a auto supply store and purchased a '12D' electronic trick diesel fuel pump. Put it inn and the Genie ran for s'not 6 hours before dying again. During this time if was limited to about 50half amps output or it would bog down. The new fuel pump is rated for 3.5 psi (4,6,8 cylinder engines.) By the time it quit the hurricane was starting to blow and I was not inclined to be trouble shooting ring then. As I understand diesel engines, they only need fuel and air to continue running. I looked at the air filter and while slightly dirty it was not enough to sit down the engine. So could the fuel pump be not providing enough fuel to keep the engine from starving? When bogging down the engine will often build speed back ip and run normal before bogging back down again eventually dying.
I am planning on working on this on this Saturday so any suggestions you have would be appreciated.e
David
Attachments
2011-08-26_08-14-55_467.jpg
2011-08-26_08-14-55_467.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 2760 times
dfansler

Postby Coulomb on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:47 pm

First, congratulations for surviving the hurricane.

The problem is almost certainly air in the fuel line. Upstream valves are a possible culprit, and everything in between.

Start by dialing back the current limit pot. Next get a clean can of diesel and stick the hose directly into it. Make sure all the hose clamps are secure. You'll probably have to bleed the system. Warm up the unit for a couple of minutes and then start dialing up the current limit.

Once you have it running with a known good source of diesel you can go back to figuring our where the air is coming from. Selector valves are a problem. I spent a lot of time on one of my own systems figuring that out.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby dfansler on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 am

Ok thanks for the suggestion -air in the line is not something I had thought of. I had thought about putting a piece of clear tubing in the fuel stream at the engine to see if there was a lose of fuel - I guess it would show a ir in the line as well.

How about the solenoid cover - do you have a replacement?
Thanks
David
dfansler

Postby Coulomb on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:53 pm

We can come up with a replacement cover, but given the appearance of the solenoid itself and the fact that the throttle is held on with a nylon tie, it will probably take more than a cover to make it operational again.

The mechanical solenoids have been replaced with a fuel solenoid. Contact ruth@ via email for a price.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers