High temp shut down

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

High temp shut down

Postby Katmai on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:24 am

Coulomb

I am finally back on my boat in Fremantle and working on my Genie 150 again with some better temperature measuring equipment, including a Fluke IR temp gauge.  In short my Genie still shuts down on high temperature.

Here are some current details:
Ambient temp 80F, sea water temp 77F

Run 1) 
No load/sound enclosure OPEN/lazeret open.
Gauge temp: 150F steady
Oil pressure: 47 psi steady
Cylinder head: 222F
Heat exchanger housing: 187F
Sound enclosure temp (insde ambient): N/A
Lazeret ambient temp: 80F
Cooling water flow: 2 gal/min

Run 2)
No load/sound enclosure CLOSED/lazeret open.
Gauge temp: 175F steady
Cylinder head: 225F
Heat exchanger housing: 205F 
Sound enclosure temp (inside ambient): 157F

Run 3)  HIGH TEMP TRIP
87 amp load/sound enclosure CLOSED/lazeret open.
Gauge temp: 190F rising
Cylinder head: +230F
Heat exchanger housing: 220F 
Sound enclosure temp (inside ambient): 166F

Is the data in Run 1) representative of a normal marine Ginie 150 under no load and full ambient conditions? 

If so, then this data may point to insufficient cooling within the sound enclosure and I need to get further heat out of the sound enclosure. One thought is a better heat blanket on the exhaust manifold. Would you please advice what other options I have to resolve this issue. I now have a total of 10 hours of running time on my Genie 150. 

Thanks 
Eric
Katmai

Re: High temp shut down

Postby Katmai on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:30 am

Coulomb,

Here is some more information regarding my Genie 150. Please see also my post above of 12/21/12.

Run 4)
Sound enclosure OPEN/lazaret open.
I initially brought the Genie up to no load stable temperature, which is 150F gauge temp. At that point I turned on the alternator which started charging the batteries at a rate of 120 amps. Over the next 20 minutes the charging rate dropped to 65 amps and the gauge temperature stayed stable at 155F, after an initial rise of about 5F. Then if I close the sound enclosure the temp rises slowly to trip point. 

After this run in added additional insulation to the exhaust elbow. Then I repeated the above run, but with the sound enclosure CLOSED and a beginning charge rate of 60 amps. The gauge temp rose slowly to 180F and stabilized. At this point the charge rate was down to 15 amps, but the Genie did not reach the temperature trip point.

This all leads me to believe that I am not getting enough ambient air through the sound enclosure to strip away heat. What would your advice be to improve this situation? What else can I do to promote sufficient air flow through the sound enclosure? There are no restrictions to air flow at the inlet or outlet air ducts of the enclosure and the lazaret temperature remains at about 80F. Could the fan be running at a sub-standard rate?

Thanks for your continued help
Eric
Katmai

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Are you drawing engine air from outside the lazerette. That makes a big difference in cooling.

You may have a heat exchanger that allows external heating radiators or water tanks. A picture would help.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Katmai on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:22 am

Coulomb,

The combustion air is piped from the transom lazerette. The transom lazerette is vented to the outside with a 4" vent in the cockpit. The transom lazerette has no machinery in it. The cooling air comes from that same transom lazerette via separate 4" ducting. The air in this lazerette is the same temperature as outside ambient. The hot air from the Ample Power sound box is drawn out by a 150 CFM blower via 3" ducting and a transom vent.

My sense is that my heat exchanger is made to accommodate an external heat transfer system. I restricted the flow through that short bypass hose with vise-grips. It did not seem to make a difference in cooling of the Genie. I will send you a picture via email to Ruth in Seattle. At the high temp trip point, a temperature delta of 123F between the glycol and the seawater outlet seems too large. Would a normal heat exchanger, one note made for additional external heat exchange, be more efficient? I do not intend to use the Genie to heat external systems.
Thanks
Eric
Katmai

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers