Genie 150 cooling system question

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

Genie 150 cooling system question

Postby Gord on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Some friends have purchased a sailboat with a Genie 150 DC generator and we are not sure the cooling system is functioning correctly. When we run the engine we don't see any cooling water coming out of the exhaust thru hull. We have run the engine for perhaps 2 minutes and not seen any water. I have hot wired the DC raw water pump and it runs fine. I tried measuring voltage at the pump when the engine was running and did not get anything. As far as I can tell from reading the manual and studying the wiring diagram for the Genie it seems that the raw water pump should run as soon as the engine is running. So the question is:

-should we see water coming out of the exhaust within a minute of the engine running?
-if we should see water and are not ( because the pump is not running) what is the likely cause? Would it be the Genie control box?

Aside from the 55 amp alternator on the main engine this Genie is the only way of charging batteries so we really need get it running properly in advance of a 10 day offshore passage.

Help would be much appreciated.
Gordon
Gord

Re: Genie 150 cooling system question

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:17 am

The engine can be flooded if the water pump runs and the engine isn't, such as extended cranking. A switch is recommended to keep the water pump off until the engine is running.

Look for a switch in the system.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Gord on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Well that doesn't really answer my question : does the Genie control the raw water pump and is it supposed to run immediately when the engine is running? All the switches in the system are clearly labelled and there is no raw water pump switch. The wiring diagram doesn't show a switch like this. I can put in a switch to hot wire the pump but that would bypass the shutdown that I expect would occur if the engine overheated and the automatic engine shutdown kicked in. Then you would flood the engine.
Doesn't anyone on this planet actually know how these are supposed to work?
Gord

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 am

Do you know what year it was manufactured?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Gord on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:30 am

No, I don't know the age. I would guess somewhere between 3 to 7 years. It looks fairly new, no corrosion, etc.
Gord

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 pm

It probably has the Genie Controller module then. The water pump is driven in parallel with the fuel solenoid, the hour meter, and fuel pump. The relay driving those outputs will only close if the hot water switch is OK, (closed) and the oil pressure switch is OK, (closed).
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Gord on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Well, the engine runs so that means the fuel pump is running, right? The relay must be closing to run the fuel pump so you would think the water pump would run.
You still haven't really answered my original question:

If the engine is running should we see water coming out of the exhaust thru hull immediately or how long should we be waiting before this comes out?
Gord

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 pm

More or less immediately once the pump is running, unless the water lift muffler is empty, and the lift hose takes a large volume.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers