Genie 150 Heat Exchanger

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

Genie 150 Heat Exchanger

Postby Katmai on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Coulomb, did you get the pictures is sent to you through Ruth?

Do I have the correct heat exchanger for my application? Again, a 123 F delta between the glycol and the cooling seawater outlet at the heat exchanger seem too large. Do you agree?

Eric
Katmai

Re: Genie 150 Heat Exchanger

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:49 pm

You have a heat exchanger which allows the coolant to be pumped through an external heat dump. That can be a water heater with a coolant loop, space heaters, keel cooler or sea water heat exchanger.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Katmai on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks Coulomb,

The important part of my question then is; do both versions of the heat exchanger have the same cooling efficiency when the one is not connected to an "external heat dump"?

Also, Coulomb, I would appreciate an answer to the question I posted a couple of times. "Is a 123F temperature delta between the glycol and the seawater outlet to the heat exchanger in spec for normal running conditions"?

Thank you
Katmai

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:54 pm

I did see the pictures.

There isn't any difference between the heat exchangers except the one you have has two ports in it with a hose between them.

The temperature difference seems a little high. Have you checked the zinc in the exchanger? If they get too old and flake off they may block the exchanger.

Outside air is best for engine intake,

You can try using a higher higher capacity raw water pump.

Have you read the Cooling Guide available on our website?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Katmai on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 am

Coulomb, yes by now I have read the 'Cooling Guide' enough that I can recite it by memory :)

The combustion air is as cool, if not cooler than outside ambient air as it is drawn from the steering quadrant area below the waterline and is completely free to outside air - no possibility of a pressure difference.

My next step is to replace the cooling fan in the sound enclosure with a higher capacity fan and remove the heat exchanger to inspect the glycol convective loop path for possible obstructions. Current heat exchange efficiency is about 10%, a much higher efficiency should be possible. I suspect that the heat exchanger is currently setup in a parallel flow, if so I will change this to counter flow for improved efficiency. Increasing the cooling seawater flow rate with a higher capacity pump and bigger hoses is a future option once I am sure I can improve the heat exchange efficiency to take advantage of increased flow rates - I would appreciate your thoughts on this plan forward.

I will be back on our boat in February and will report back to you with what I find once I remove the heat exchanger.

Cheers
Katmai

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Raw water should enter the exchanger at the end with the zinc.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers