Took Off Solenoid, Runs Well, Erratic Voltages

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

Took Off Solenoid, Runs Well, Erratic Voltages

Postby PatM on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Started my Genie 12-150 after having it in garage for a year. It ran for 15 seconds then died. Finally after a few hours of head in Kubota manual, I at least got fuel to the injector pump with bleed screw. OK. AFTER RUNNING 25 SECONDS, FUEL SOLENOID IS REALLY HOT. Solenoid not fully seating, stuck about half way. Appears it can't overcome strength of lever spring. Took Solenoid off throttle lever, solenoid fully seats and stays cool.

Running great. With regulator turned off on control panel waiting for engine to warm up, green light went to 1/1 - absorption charge, 12.7 volts. Should this have happened if regulator turned off at panel? I flipped the regulator switch on, went back to flashing 3/3. With regulator turned on flashing 3/3, battery voltage goes down to 12.05 while engine running. Does this sound irregular? I only ran engine for two minutes since no water cooling.

I can hook up to water hose at 2gpm and let it run for awhile, if needed to go through an entire cycle.

Is my old boot style solenoid too weak to pull throttle lever, or is the spring perhaps old and fighting solenoid? It appears to be the connecting rod. It really bends and torques when being manually pushed or pulled.

Does anyone have a schematic or picture of the shut-off solenoid and how it attaches to the throttle lever and solenoid arm, as well as both adjustable connecting rod screws?
PatM

Re: Took Off Solenoid, Runs Well, Erratic Voltages

Postby Coulomb on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Mechanical solenoids have been replaced with a fuel cut-off solenoid.

Send email to ruth@...... to get a cost for conversion assembly.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby PatM on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 am

Connect Rod.JPG
Connect Rod.JPG (126.83 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

Solenoid.JPG
Solenoid.JPG (164.29 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

I believe I have an automatic fuel shut off. The old Woodward model. It appears to function correctly with ample pulling power when engaged, and is not even warm once I took the connecting rod off. Unless you mean something more like a shutoff via fuel flow line.

The connecting rod was not allowing the throttle arm to go but half way, thus not allowing the solenoid to seat. If the throttle arm takes 2 lbs of pressure to fully extend the spring to full throttle, I couldn't exert 20 lbs of pressure pulling the throttle lever via the boot and connecting rod and get to but half throttle. The rod was wanting to bend and became distorted. That's why the solenoid wouldn't seat because it was fighting this torque. I believe the prior owner perhaps adjusted, and I do not know how to correctly position.

Theoretically, I can see the problem. The mounting hole on the throttle arm is at " 7 and 1 o' clock " at slack throttle. When engaged it faces " 9 and 3 ". If the rod is fixed via the top screw on the throttle, and does not have rotation capabilities in a horizontal plane on the solenoid bracket, I am not sure how it is supposed to make this transition. On mine, it is forcing a bend in the rod that can't be overcome. I gotta be missing something.

Thanks for your assistance.
PatM

Postby Coulomb on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:32 pm

That's the old system. The first time the solenoid doesn't get to bottom out, the solenoid burns up.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers