SARV3 - Actual voltages and profiles?

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

SARV3 - Actual voltages and profiles?

Postby oceanplanet on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:13 am

Hi, I need to know the actual voltages and charge profiles of the various dip switch settings for the SAR-V3. Also, if the ABS "lock absorbtion" setting adjusts (has different voltage setting) with the different dip switch profiles.

We are setting up for a Genasun lithium system and need to set for constant absorbtion @ 14.2V max, with NO float.
oceanplanet

Re: SARV3 - Actual voltages and profiles?

Postby Coulomb on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Lock it in ABS using the Exide Gel selection on the dip switches.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby oceanplanet on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks, done. Working great when I left the boat (in Aruba). However, the client called yesterday and says the alternator output is now fluctuating up & down in the middle of the charge cycle (approx. 13.6V) long before reaching the locked voltage (14.1V).

Have asked him to check the voltage and/or current on the field output to the alts, to see if the alt regs are cycling the field up & down). Haven't heard back yet.

Hoping the ABS feature on the SAR V3 will be the answer for lithium batteries; would be nice to keep them when switching to lithium. I've always liked the SAR V3...
oceanplanet

Postby oceanplanet on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:59 am

Hi Coloumb,

We are still having the cycling problem, and it turns out that it's the field output on the SAR going up & down. Boat is near Panama without internet, so they want me to see what we can find out from you.

Bank voltage constant (slowly going up to set point), no fluctuation there.

I remember that on my own boat when starting a bulk charge, the SAR would cycle the field/alt/output up & down for a minute or so after starting up. But then it would stop and all would proceed fine. In this case it seems to keep doing it. Can that be disabled?

Thanks
oceanplanet

Postby oceanplanet on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:41 am

Some more info, just in case....

The cycling continues through the charge cycle until very nearly full (>14V). The cycles are 10sec on, 1sec off.
oceanplanet

Postby Coulomb on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:34 pm

You get cycling like this because grounding is not done properly. Alternator current is changing the reference voltage to the regulator because it is in series with the alternator ground wire.

Recheck the way wiring is done.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby oceanplanet on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks, we'll check it out.
oceanplanet

Postby dvkall on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 am

I feel I have a similar problem. I have an EMON now disconnected from the SARV-3. And I have the DAC provided by you running two independent alternators. One alternator is on the DC generator and the other on the main engine.

In your wiring diagrams for the SAR you indicate that the Alt Ground on the SAR 3 runs to the (-) lug on the Alternator. But in the DAC controler Installation diagram you show that ground wire running to the (-) common for both alternators. Ground in for the DAC running to the common. The ground for the regulator running to the DAC as per your instructions.

This is how I have it.

Now during the run time the Regulator powers up the alternator at say 80 amps, then drops to 70 for a few seconds, then 85 amps, then drops to 60 for a few seconds then 90 amps and eventually settles out at say about 100 amps and begins the cycle. Depending on how low I have the batteriers this occurs between 4 and 14 times (that was the most I counted when the batteries were at about 50%. These numbers are as reported on my EMON.

I removed the Parallel wire for the start battery thinking that had something to do with it when it clicked on but I get the same results.

I have 400 amp hour battery bank with all Gels. I have the dip switches set as per you instalation instructions.

Is this the correct behavior of the regulator?
Thanks in advance
dvkall

Postby Coulomb on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:07 pm

That's the SARV3 stepping through the charge states and pausing along the way to check out battery behavior.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators