ESAHM model 100

For the Energy Monitor, ESP, and other monitors

ESAHM model 100

Postby viking on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:16 pm

I have an older working ESAHM model #100, 3 bank battery monitor. The system was originally installed in my sailboat just like the system diagram in its manual. Dual house bank and starting bank. I have since combined the two house banks into one larger bank 440AH and a start bank combined with a relay. At the same time I installed new Blue Seas circuit panels and a new shunt for a digital ammeter.

The shunts for the Ample Power batter monitor were 200A/50mV. The new shunt for the Blue Seas ammeter is 500A/50mV. Is there a way to use the new shunt for both metering devices(the Blue Seas ammeter and the Ample Power monitor)? or do I need to install two different rated shunts in series one for each meter? I am hoping I can use one shunt for both.

Another question is will the Ample Power monitor work for one house bank and not have alarms because of a low voltage on the unused bank? My book mentions jumping the input voltage from one bank to another to eliminate false alarming. Sounds reasonable, but since I will not be putting a shunt on the start battery for the monitor to calculate start battery AH remaining, will it still work.

At this time I have can read volts and amps at the Blue Seas panel meter for house and start batteries. And I can read volts for house and start batteries and alternator current on the Ample Power monitor panel. I have a low voltage warning also but there is nothing connected for bank two on the unit.

Basically the battery monitor will be fully functioning for one house bank and reading voltage for the start bank. I can set it up for either bank one or two and keep the start battery on bank three.

Thanks
viking

Re: ESAHM model 100

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:37 am

You will need both shunts in series. The ESAHM is so old that the processor it uses is no longer available so reprogramming it for a different shunt is not possible.

As the manual indicates, you can jumper the voltage inputs to avoid low battery alarms on the other channel. Lack of a current shunt will not affect this.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby viking on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks for the response. I installed the second shunt in series and it seems to be working fine so far.
viking

Postby Coulomb on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:50 pm

It's good the hear that your 20 year old monitor is still working! That was the first monitor on the market that used Peukert's exponent to calculate Amp-hours remaining.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Power Monitors