field voltage ramp up

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

field voltage ramp up

Postby MollyBlossom on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 pm

I have been using your small case alternator #4023 for about a year. I just started using the NS2 regulator. The alternator was fine with my previous external regulator that didn't start to ramp up the field voltage for 90 seconds and then very slowly. The NS2 starts instantly resulting in a very large output current especially if the engine started at 1500 rpm before I could get the throttle down to 1000 rpm. I think this can cause belt slippage. As a result I think this resulted in burning out rectifiers in the alternator. The belt seems tight and I am using one of your recommended belts. Any suggestions? What is the profile of the ramp up in current?
MollyBlossom

Re: field voltage ramp up

Postby Coulomb on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Belt slippage causes heat transfer into the rotor, which will burnout before the diodes. Diode failures are usually the result of high voltage transients, often generated when switches are in series with the alternator output.

In any case, belt slip won't happen from loading the alternator using appropriate belts with proper tension.

You can put a separate switch to the On/Off input to control the regulator as desired.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby MollyBlossom on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 pm

How soon does ramp up start ofter the on/off goes on? How long does ramp up take in order to get full on field current?
MollyBlossom

Postby Coulomb on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

It happens in a matter of a few seconds.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby MollyBlossom on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:03 am

The problem wasn't the alternator or regulator. When I went to put on an alternate alternator I found the positive voltage lead on the alternator was loose. When I tightened it up all is well.
MollyBlossom

Postby Coulomb on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks for letting us know.

You're lucky to have caught the loose connection before it acted like a cutting torch and melted the stud.

After melting the stud, the next likely event is the wire falling against the engine and grounding the battery. If you don't have a battery fuse, then you have a fire.

We've seen the aftermath of this.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to NS2 Regulators