extended absorption or float

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

extended absorption or float

Postby tomsw on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Under a separate topic: Once the absorption mode trips over to float; what occurs with the charge programming when a decent intermittent load is applied (like flushing the elec. head) ? I.E. Does the absorption mode, with it's set duration, kick in anew? Is there a known load threshold before this would occur? Can this be adjusted?
Along the same line, since I'd typically have a continuous moderate draw all day long from electronics (radar and scope) as well as a bait pump and cycling refrigeration; will this be compatible with the NS2 being able to hold in float? Or will such a continuous load cause the absorption mode to hold its voltage setting indefinitely until the load is reduced? Since the 120A alternator should be able to produce significantly more current than this load is requiring, even at trolling rpm, won't that impress a greater current onto the batteries than they can absorb, and for many hours? The accessories will run fine at either 13.6 or 14.4 volts, its the batteries I'm concerned about.........Any general advice about settings for this application would be appreciated.
tomsw

Re: extended absorption or float

Postby Coulomb on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 am

The NS2 will only go back into absorption if the alternator can not keep up with demand for 2 minutes or longer.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to NS2 Regulators