SAR Performance

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

SAR Performance

Postby merlin_hood38 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:34 pm

My charging performance with a SAR V3 installed last season has never been as expected. During a long cruise, each charging cycle (even with quite long engine runs) never brought the house bank up to show a full charge, and progressively over 2 weeks I dropped down to showing less than 50% of capacity at what should have been full charge in float status.

I checked on Sunday from a known charge status of just under 80%. After starting the engine, the status light showed a gas charge status for about 20 minutes, with 40A at 13+ volts. Then I observed an absorption stage delivering 60A with voltage starting at 13.6V going up above 14. I didn't get to count the next status light cycle before it switched to float, but believe it was step to float. Float appears to run at 12.95V, with fluctuating, minor amp readings both negative and positive. Float came in at 85% of capacity.

The readings are off a previously installed Emon II, with a Lifeline bank of nominally 440 AH. SAR setting is to the Concord AGM setting. How might I perform further troubleshooting on this?

Re: SAR Performance

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Read this post.

Interface the SARV3 and the Emon.
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators