APC Isolator Question

This forum is for general electrical issues. See other forums for product specific issues

APC Isolator Question

Postby CMS on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi,

I am working on a 53 foot boat that has a large red three bank APC diode isolator. I am installing a solar panel and worry about connecting it to the input of this isolator because the Blue Sky MPPT solar controller does not have a battery voltage sense to compensate for any VD through the diodes? There is no documentation on your site regarding this product, or on the boat, so I would like to know the best way to tie in the 210W solar panel would be. The only input to this isolator is an Ample Power alternator which is regulated by an Ample Power regulator..

I have measured a .7 volt drop from the input lug from the alternator to the output of banks 1 & 2 and only .3V drop on the bank 3 output. The input lug on the isolator was the identical voltage as the alternator B+ terminal and was measured using a Fluke 376.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CMS
CMS

Re: APC Isolator Question

Postby Coulomb on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 pm

You should be able to connect the solar regulator directly to the house battery. As you have seen, there is voltage drop through the isolator and without remote sensing, the solar regulator will not deliver a full charge.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to General Electrical