Equalizing batteries with the V3

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Equalizing batteries with the V3

Postby Carlman on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:51 am

Hi
Can someone please explain to me in plain English how to set up the V3 to equalize my batteries — two sets of 6-volt Surettes to make one 12-volt bank with 530 AH capacity. I have the wiring diagram dated June 11, 2006 which shows both the limiting and equalizing wiring. If this diagram is correct, that looks pretty simple. However I am confused about the jumper on P1. Does that have to be switched on each time I want to equalize and then turned off?
I am also confused about the potentiometers. How do I adjust the time? Where do I read the settings, on the Emon II? If so, where? What is the relationship between R11 and R12. Do I need to have a limiting switch at all if I only want to equalize?
Fairwyn
Carlman

Re: Equalizing batteries with the V3

Postby Coulomb on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Have you searched 'equalization' on the forum? Do you understand what equalization is and when it is necessary?

No one should attempt equalization unless they know what it does, what settings are required, and whether they batteries actually need equalization.
When you understand the issues, then the settings will be clear. We don't want to be responsible for people doing equalization who don't understand the issues.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Carlman on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi
I searched the forum under equalizing and found only my query. I still need answers to my questions
Fairwyn
Carlman

Postby Coulomb on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:53 pm

"I've wired it exactly per the wiring diagram and it doesn't work."

"I did what you told me to do and it still doesn't work."

We heard those quotes more than a few times. Humans make mistakes. All
of us.

There's a reason that the information in the manual is sparse. No one
should equalize without knowing how to do it in principle, not by
mis-interpreting some set of instructions.

We don't want to hear about your batteries exploding, and some one
blinded with spewing electrolyte.

Please re-read the prior instructions.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Carlman on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:45 pm

I understand the why and the what. I am confused about the how. I have read the instructions and believe I have followed them. Since I am confused about them I may have made a mistake. In any case the system does not appear to work, Hence my original questions. Could you please answer them.
Fairwyn
Carlman

Postby Coulomb on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am

Have you done the search as suggested?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Carlman on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:26 am

This is most frustrating. This is taking a lot of my time and yours and getting nowhere. Would you please answer the original questions. This is only one of the problems I need to solve with the V3 and I would like to solve this first and move on.
Fairwyn
Carlman

Postby Coulomb on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:21 am

Please do the search as suggested.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Carlman on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:15 am

Having now wasted several weeks, I will try this once more.
Can someone please explain to me in plain English how to set up the V3 to equalize my batteries — two sets of 6-volt Surettes to make one 12-volt bank with 530 AH capacity. I have the wiring diagram dated June 11, 2006 which shows both the limiting and equalizing wiring. If this diagram is correct, that looks pretty simple. However I am confused about the jumper on P1. Does that have to be switched on each time I want to equalize and then turned off?
I am also confused about the potentiometers. How do I adjust the time? Where do I read the settings, on the Emon II? If so, where? What is the relationship between R11 and R12. Do I need to have a limiting switch at all if I only want to equalize?
Fairwyn
Carlman

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators