3-stage temperature probe

This forum is for general electrical issues. See other forums for product specific issues

3-stage temperature probe

Postby g.r.amps on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:16 pm

My new boat has the old style 3 stage regulators. One temp. probe has the wire pulled out and is not repairable. I emailed info@ about buying a new one but got no response. I am wondering if I could build my own? If I knew the specs of the temperature sensitive component, I could probably put one together.
g.r.amps

Re: 3-stage temperature probe

Postby ruth on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Does this probe have one red wire? If so, that is the 1018 volts/temp. sensor. Cost is $59.95 plus shipping and handling.

The other sensor we make is the #2018 temp. sensor, which has one red and one black wire coming out of the lug. Cost is $44, plus shipping and handling.

The sensors are not interchangeable. The old 3-Step Regulators (1019, 1021, 1021A) used the #1018 volt/temp. sensor.

Let us know if you would like to order one. Thanks for using the support forum.
ruth

Postby MattRaj on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Ruth,
I need a new temp sensor as well. I had a one fry on me and it took out the other temp sensors in the process. Small electrical fire appeared to be due to arcing from loose connections from the multiple Voltage and Temp sensor leads attached to the pos terminal of the battery. I would like to simplify and improve this connection by using only one sensor and lead it to a bus bar and then split it to the three systems to use the signal. I guess, I have two questions:

1) Can I order the 2018 from you?

2) Can I use one 2018 to feed the temp signal to three Ample Power components?

Systems in use:
Smart Charger Manager (SCM) (uses part# 2018)
Smart Alternator Regulator v3 (uses part# 2018)
ESP Controller (uses part # 2018)
MattRaj

Postby Coulomb on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Unfortunately a single sensor can not be shared.

Ruth can handle orders for sensors
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby MattRaj on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Coulomb,
Well, it seems your other post solved my issue regarding a replacement sensor for my ESP (it being obsolete).

So that now puts me down to needing only two sensors. With that cganeg, might a viable solution to the issue of mutiple temp sensors be to place one on each of my house batteries (paralleled). Seems to make sense; two batteries; two sensors. My goal here is to minimize the number of wires and sensors to the battery terminals.

Thanks for your recommendations,
Matt
MattRaj

Postby Coulomb on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Splitting the sensors to two batteries will work.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to General Electrical